Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Concrete Paint

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by shewheeler, May 20, 2004.

1. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Has anyone here used this stuff? I'm going to be refurbing my laundry room soon and I can't decide what to do about the flooring. My laundry room is attached to the garage and right now has just a bare concrete floor.

At first I thought about painting it and then thought maybe stick on linoleum tiles? Now I'm back to concrete paint. I'm guessing that the concrete would need to be pretty clean for the paint to adhere properly, but I'm worried about using any chemical that would get the concrete that clean /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Also, to use the stick on linoleum, the concrete would need to be pretty clean, too, so either way I'm playing with hazardous materials /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Thoughts? Experiences? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

The prep for most concrete paints is to "etch" the concrete. This is done by washing it with Muriatic (Hydrochloric) Acid. You can buy this stuff at any hardware store for about $2-3 a gallon. Yes it is harmful, but ventilate the area well and wear rubber gloves and you'll be fine.

Make sure you get a concrete paint that is made for garage floors. There are some out there that are strictly for block walls and it won't stand up to walking on, etc. The stuff for garage floors is good stuff though!

Now for the real question...what color to get. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Now for the real question...what color to get. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

5 gallons of white and 1 pint of red would match her truck very well. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking saftey yellow!

5. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

Oh btw if you get a paint with a lot of shine, you might want to think about adding some non skid additive, because if you don't, when that floor gets wet, you'll be sliding all over the place /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Good luck

nate /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. shewheeler

Thanks for the tips! I guess maybe I'll try it. It's not too big of an area, so if I screw up, it won't be that tragic /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

About how long does it take to cure completely?? A couple of days?

I think the color will be grey or maybe black -- as much as I like pink, I don't think I want it on my laundry room floor /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Nuthin' like day-glo high-vis colors to say "I'm a RIDNICK and I'm prowwwwd!" /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I've considered doing my [​IMG] up in high-vis orange ... or camo (though that's been done)...

-- A

-- A

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

just acid wash it ,we did our concrete counter tops that way, looks cool.... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. shewheeler

[ QUOTE ]
    just acid wash it ,we did our concrete counter tops that way, looks cool.... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Acid wash the plain concrete? How do you do that? I'm intrigued /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Go to a concrete place and buy some acid iut comes in different colors , we went with black/brown and you soak a rag with it and dab it on so it kinda looks like marble....

11. shewheeler

[ QUOTE ]
    Go to a concrete place and buy some acid iut comes in different colors , we went with black/brown and you soak a rag with it and dab it on so it kinda looks like marble....

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds better/easier than trying to paint it... do you have to "etch" it first, too?

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

heres a site I found and there seems to be alot of info just type acid wash concxrete into a search engine... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif web page

13. shewheeler

Thanks mang! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i used to work at a painting place and we did epoxy flooring. all we did was shot blast the floor and sweep it up good and then mop it once keeping the water clean, no soap. never had a problem with it pulling up. we shot blasted it because it was very easy to clean up (magnet) and it help up better, imsure you could sand blast it also.

i recoment epoxy, its takes a beating and still looks great. its a little more $$$ but i think its worth it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif