Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

condensation in tail pipes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevyfumes, Jan 6, 2003.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

How do I keep my truck from shooting black soot outta the pipes all over everthing in my garage, granted it is funny when my kids get it all over them, but then I go to use something and its covered in this crap..... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Water droplets in the exhaust is a sign of complete combustion. This is a good thing. I suppose you could try to de-tune it until it goes away. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif You could also change your exhaust tips so they point down... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif</font color>

3. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

Actually the water is caused by the chemical reaction is the cats. More than likely the soot is just burned oil.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I don't have cats....But burnt oil sounds about right....LOL /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> My exhaust shoots a good amount of water when it's warming up too, and I don't have any cats. The soot is just from inside of your exhaust, there's always lots of soot in there. Since the water mainlyu shoots out on warmup, it just washes out some of the soot that built up from the last time you ran it. I get a little bit of soot in the water, but not a whole lot. If you're putting black streaks on the walls from all the soot then you might have an issue. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif </font color>

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It's not just because of the cat converters.

Mine shoots out enough water when its started to make a small mess too.

Just another reason not to drive short distances constantly, if you don't get the exhaust hot enough to evaporate all the water, you'll end up with a bad exhaust system.

7. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

My '87 TBI does the same thing, 'cept it pukes black goobers on my wifes Heep /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif so I don't care.(I tell my wife the Blazer is marking its territory /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) The turndown is a great idea.

8. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

You could drill a pin hole in each muffler. I was told that if you mount flowmasters vertically, that you should drill a pin hole in each one or water would collect in it. The muffler on my '02 GMC truck has a small pin hole in it towards the bottom of the back edge. Just an idea.

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

condensation of exhaust in cooler temps is normal and will go away as the exhaust system warms up to operating temp

10. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    My '87 TBI does the same thing, 'cept it pukes black goobers on my wifes Heep

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in an apartment and I love it when it does that to someone who parked too close /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

So are you just getting water buildup when it is warming up or is it puffing black smoke like Winston Churchill? It it is just water, its normal...EVERY combustion yields both carbon dioxide and water. If it is puffing black, it is probably just a matter of a tune up and running some BG 44K thoru it...

12. Tuff84blaze

Tuff84blaze 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    How do I keep my truck from shooting black soot outta the pipes all over everthing in my garage

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't Park it in the garage /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Just Kidding, Man what I wouldn't give for a garage /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif