Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Condensation issue

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by odoa3, Apr 19, 2006.

1. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Wondering if anyone has any condensation issues from their roof. This is on a 75 K5 with the fiberglass roof. For some reason I am getting condensation off the inside of the roof, dropping down onto the floor and console between the seats. Any ways of taking care of this?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Same issue with mine.

Had a friend whose dad had a K5, same problem, he glued polystyrene(? the white formed stuff like TV's come in) to the roof and it seemed to help a bit. Ugly as sin, I'd never do it though.

Not sure exactly what you can do about it, most of the top is single layer with no possibility to insulate it without seeing what you've done.

I believe cracking the rear window helps somewhat. Kind of neat in the winter though, the inside of the top can be frozen solid. :)

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine had this problem with his early Bronco topper, and he got a few rolls of that Self-Adhesive Foil/Foam Duct Insulation from Home Despot (about $15 for a 12" wide x 15' long x 1/8" thick roll), and stuck that to the interior of the top. It seemed to work well enough, and it's made to stop condensation on cold air ducts, but I never got any long-term durability report on it.

4. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I am going to pull the carpet up and line the tub just in case the carpet is holding the moisture.

5. supericeboy

supericeboy Registered Member

I have the same problem. What I did was buy one of the little dehumidifiers that is made for RVs. The kind where you put the little white beads inside it. It took about a week or so but it suck all the moisture out of the rig, and the top dried up. I left it in there and would periodicly dump out the water the collects in the basin of the dehumidifier.

They are really cheap I picked it up for like $6, and new bags of the beads are like $2.

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Crystal cat litter tied up in pantyhose or cheesecloth works well too, as would any dessicant.

AFAIK, there's no fix to prevent roof condensation.

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Oh...I assure you it is. I pulled the carpet and insulation out of mine a few weeks back, and it was soaking wet. Revealed more rust holes than I though I had.:doah:
    -Harrison

8. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the ideas. Yeah, I am afraid of what I am going to find for rust holes. :(

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Quit breathing so heavily :p:

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

it works good!

My older brother used a few rolls of that silver "bubble wrap" insulation stuff I think your talking about on his '42 Studebaker until a custom headliner was made for it..no sweating or dripping with that stuff glued on the bare roof..it was like it rained in there without it!...he had it in there for 2 years with no wear and tear...:crazy:

11. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

:haha: