Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

condenser vs capacitor?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 12B, Mar 17, 2003.

1. 12B

12B Registered Member

In layman's (sp?) terms, what is the main difference? The clerk at the auto parts store tried to give me a condenser when I asked for a capacitor for the coil. Is their a main difference, or do they both pretty much act as an escape path for the electons once the EM field collapses? And why do some coils have them while others do not? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Same thing.
    They are needed with a points (stock) ign. system.
    I have a HEI in mine and it doesn't have a condenser.

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

As Triaged said, they're the same thing. The word "condenser" was coined back in the stone ages when cars were first invented. The term "capacitor" is actually a newer term, but it is more widely used for the same type of device. Two different terms for the same device.

4. 12B

12B Registered Member

Is it unusual for a rig to have both a condenser on the points AND another on the coil? My '70 has this setup, but I've never seen a coil with a condenser before. Apparently it isn't that critical for the coil.

5. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

The capacitor on the coil may be there for radio noise supression. It has no automotive performance value.

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

As BluThundr71JIMMY said, it's for radio noise supression. It is placed as close to the source of the noise as possible to reduce conducted and radiated emissions. The condenser in the distributor is more of a charge storage device and is there to prevent the points from getting eaten up too quickly.