Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Conduit as gas filler pipe?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Aug 26, 2006.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Background: My pickup has both side tanks, filler on each side, which is inconvenient. I'm stinking about moving the filler to one side, or making a crossover filler so I can fill from either side. There was a long thread about this the other week.

Anyway, copper pipe is stupid money (like $6 a FOOT for 1 1/4") ... so could I use, say, EMT conduit, which is much cheaper? I figure anything metal will be better than plastic for gasoline resistance... any other issues I should consider? Does gas eat galvanizing finish or anything?

-- A

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

wht not use the rubber line all the way across?

3. dremu

Cuz the good rubber stuff with the spiral wire is also stupid money, and I need like five or six feet worth.

S'pose I could use radiator hose or something, but I donno how well it'd hold up down there.

-- A

4. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

It doesnt hold up for too long... my PO taught me that one the hard way. I replaced a gas tank filler line after 4 months of owning my truck, no idea how long it had been there though

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Aren't gas tanks galvanized inside?

Don't really see why it wouldn't work.

6. chevydan3

chevydan3 1/2 ton status

The thing about emt is that it bends really easily if you are using 1/2 or 3/4, plus it has pretty thin walls, so I think that it would be pretty vulnerable under a truck. I suppose that a 1" or 1-1/4" or even a 2" would work, but good luck bending 1-1/4" or bigger, unless you have a hydraulic bender that won't kink it. If you have the skills to use a bendfield bender like real electricians do than you will have no problem, but I am an electrician and can't hand bend 1-1/4 for crap.

7. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't wan to come across the wrong way but if it's $6 a foot and you need 5 or 6 feet that is only $30-$36. When dealing with gas don't you think you would be willing to spend $30 for your safety instead of spending $10-$15 on something cheap that will rought away and possibly spill gas one day?

-Avery

8. dremu

Well, it's 1 1/4", and it's straight, no bends. I'll use leftover filler hose bits for the kinks on the ends.

Yes, I *could* use copper ... though actually I gotta buy a 10' chunk of it, so it's sixty bucks. I am perfectly willing to spend the money ... if I have to. :deal: Otherwise it's half a tank of gas, a season or two of my favorite TV show on DVD, or a considerable amount of rootbeer :)

-- A

9. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Why not use exhaust pipe????? Thats what I did on a Scout when the tailpipe rotated up and melted the plastic filler.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Use it!..

I used conduit on one trucks filler neck when I made a flatbed,and it worked just fine..in fact,I bought the "elbow" I needed pre-bent at Home Depot for about 5 bucks!...I've also used chain link fence pipe with good results--its heavier zinc coating lasts longer than even EMT will!..I've made exhaust pipes from it too,that took 5 years to finally rust through!..(be sure to run a ground wire from the conduit to ground,to avoid static sparks when re-fueling!--a hose clamp works well to hold the wire to it..)...

As for the filler neck hose,yes,the "right" stuff is at least 10 bucks a foot!:eek1: --I used radiator hose instead,and though it did not deteriorate,it did get hard as a rock,and would crack like plastic when I tried removing it a few years later...I hear silicone hose works good,but isn't much cheaper unfortunately..
    Sometimes you can find "good used" filler neck hose at a junkyard..I think a "flex" hose for a radiator might hold up better than a "molded" hose like I used will..:crazy:

11. dremu

Sweet! Yeah, I've got a nice brand spankin' ground strap waiting here for the project, as discussed in that other thread about dual tanks. I was thinking I'd hafta solder it, good tip on the hose clamp.

I have one or two extra filler hoses from the Pick-N-Pull, so I think that'll do for the twists and turns.

Thanks all!

-- A