Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cone washer questions for high steer arms

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5-newbie, Mar 22, 2005.

1. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

A friend is machining me some high steer arms for my D60 and said i was gonna need some cone washers for them. Anyone know where I can order these and maybe a part number...or did I misunderstand him? I am high steer ignorant so all help is greatly appreciated.

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I havent figured out where to get them either....
    basically take a round ball and cut it in half... drill through it... and that is what it is... so you can use a regular bolt vs stud

or you could use the stud with the correct nut... however the studs arent cheap.. like $40....for the set of 4

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Aren't they used on the stock steering arm?

4. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

If you need any d60 steering parts shoot me a pm of what you need and I'll see what i can scrounge up.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  5. Habez

Habez Registered Member

I found mine at a place around my house called Michigan Truck Spring. They mainly work with larger semi's and commercial type trucks.They even had the size I needed in stock. I would check if there is anywhere around you like that.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

cone washers suck. Use tapered locking nuts instead.

j

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yup!

I took off and put on steering arms for lift kits on my trucks and butchered the studs and nut and the cone washers bad,and sometimes the studs came out instead of the nuts unscrewing! --Had to use the torch on more than one--I used grade 8 bolts and grade 8 flatwashers instead of studs and cone washers,,a local "Tire Shack" store that installs lift kits said thats all they ever did and had no comebacks,so thats what I did,and it hasn't loosenned up,10 years later--its welded on by the rust alone now! Looks like iron ore...:thinking:

Another truck I got the nuts off the studs ok,but the cone washers got booggerred up and one vanished completely,so we were stuck again--then I remembered those studs are 9/16 fine thread,and so are lug nuts for an 8-lug truck--hmmm:thinking: --I had some extra long chrome ones in my junk drawer from another truck,I tried one--perfecto!!--zapped them down with the impact,and it was done!--and the studs cant rust if the lug nuts are acorn style like the ones I had--the tapered end is a good fit againt where the cone washers went too...GM should have used them in the first place..:crazy: