Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

confederate flag

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BranndonC, Feb 19, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

what exactally does it stand for?
    racism?
    pro slavery?

i've never been explained about it and dont really know what the big deal is? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

A long defunct group called the "confederacy" or somesuch who lost the civil war

People read too much into things

I don't like it because it instantly classifies you as redneck and knocks off 30 IQ points

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Well, I guess ya ain't too much up on your history; but then again your are a product of the California educational system, ain't ya?

Before we begin, we must get the true and real name out in the open, The War of Northern Aggression.

For the true, blue Southerner; the Confedarate flag stands for their homeland which came under hostile attack by an overbearing federal government looking to impose their will upon the South. It went a lot further than just slavery, and that wasn't the main issue that began the war; it's just an overinflated excuse for a bunch of PC goofballs because they use race as a crutch.

Being from down home, most people are some of the greatest, nicest people you will ever meet. Most of them, you don't question their patriotism.

Where this has gone greatly off course was due to some yahoos running around in white sheets. For those that don't know, the KKK was started by a Confederate general, Nathan Bedford Forrest. His idea was to form a group that would protect southerners from reprisals after the war from freed slaves and the federal government. After the war, the government started what was called Reconstruction, where they came into the south, inserted politicians from the north and brought the South 'back in line.' The Reconstruction era was real hard in the South due to the hard feelings.

The Klan though, delved off into what they are known for now. Being that the group originated in the South, of course they started using the flag because of the symbolism. During the early part of the last century, the Klan had something in the neighborhood of 3 million members, now they probably can't even raise six figures.

Along with the Klan and the flag, the neo-nazi skinheads who emerged also used the flag. Of course the media is going to play this on and on and on and those images will be ingrained into peoples' heads.

Take the Maltese Cross which is so prevelant in today's society. You see it all over the place; yet it was/is the highest award in the German Army and what/who do most of us associate with the German Army?

All it comes down is people not knowing their history and symbols being misconstrued through the images we see.

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks, i have a better idea now

5. Resurrection_Joe

Symbols generally do turn out to be detrimental in the end most times, in my opinion anyway, that's why I'm not too into them, because if I were to create one or use one, somehwere sometime it will have a negative meaning and be misinterpreted

Large group mentality is fine, just dont try to spread, to suppress something or to promote, leave things be. If your too busy with generalazation and symol you'll never learn anything

Anyway I'm not to versed in the civil war era, other than what my history teacher ingrained into me, mostly Andrew Jackson gunfighting stuff

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyway I'm not to versed in the civil war era, other than what my history teacher ingrained into me, mostly Andrew Jackson gunfighting stuff

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, considering Andrew Jackson ran around the swamps killing Indians and gave some a**whup to the British, in the 18th and 19th Centuries, and died 15 years before The War of Northern Aggression, he really didn't do no gunfighting in the 1860's.......... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

amen bubba, well said /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. CTBlaz45

CTBlaz45 Registered Member

The General Lee Had the flag on the roof and it was pretty cool for a dodge. Personally I think the Flag can be a fun thing and a thing of historic pride if it wern't for the implied rasicsm.

9. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Bubba Ray Sir, I do believe you to be one of the smartest men on that there mountain. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Thanks for that wonderful lesson, now I'm sure there are a few out there who needs to know what this one stands for ----> /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Take the Maltese Cross which is so prevelant in today's society. You see it all over the place; yet it was/is the highest award in the German Army and what/who do most of us associate with the German Army?

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but for the men and women in the line of duty, the true origin of the Maltese Cross, or Firefighter's Cross has a different meaning.

[ QUOTE ]
    The cross, which is associated with firefighters, is now known as the Maltese Cross and its history predates the Crusades.

The story of the Maltese Cross begins with a group known as the Hospitallers (that is not misspelled) of St. John, who later became the Knights of St. John. Their emblem was an eight pointed cross, the points of which stood for the eight obligations taken by the members of the Order.

During the Crusades, a term derived from the Latin word for cross, crux, bands of Knights fought to re-gain possession of the Holy Land from the Saracens. The importance here is that the Crusaders were identified by their "crux" or cross.

It was during one of the eight Crusades, as the Hospitallers of St. John were attacking the city of Jerusalem, the Saracen defenders utilized a terrible weapon, naptha filled glass fire bombs. The Crusaders sustained horrible injuries and heavy losses and ultimately, retreated to the island of Malta.

The efforts of the knights to rescue their brothers from the fires has created an everlasting association between the knights, and their cross, with fire fighting and the bravery of firefighters.

The Order of the Knights of St. John remains on Malta to this day. It underwent several name changes before ultimately becoming The Knights of Malta, and their emblem, the Maltese Cross, has forever become identified with the heroism and selfless bravery of firefighters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for the intrusion, but the Cross means more to me than the German Army or West Coast Choppers.

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Symbols generally do turn out to be detrimental in the end most times

[/ QUOTE ] You said it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I remember hearing in school how the swastika was a symbol of good luck and prosperity ..........until that evil yahoo in Germany basterdized it.

12. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

It's a symbol that has been twisted around by ignorant people. Just like many other symbols, the swastika being another that comes to mind. I think Bubba did a good job in explaining however what it stands for. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

DIE JOHNNY REB!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    DIE JOHNNY REB!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

[/ QUOTE ]

All [darn] Yankees must [darn] die!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    True, but for the men and women in the line of duty, the true origin of the Maltese Cross, or Firefighter's Cross has a different meaning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya know, I did not know that until a conversation about the thing, can't remember if it was the one I started here, or another one on PBB a few weeks ago; but I did not know that until somebody said something. Why? Because the firefighter one has been modified to the point that everyday people are very likely to not associate it as the Maltese Cross.

16. Resurrection_Joe

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, considering Andrew Jackson ran around the swamps killing Indians and gave some a**whup to the British, in the 18th and 19th Centuries, and died 15 years before The War of Northern Aggression, he really didn't do no gunfighting in the 1860's..........

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes my era's are going bad on me.....

I remember one line from my teacher to the effect of "Now the guy called hsi wife a name, I can't say it in class, it starts with a W and rhymes with Whore..... oh"

Thinking back the only thing he had to say about the civil war was it wasn't all about slavery, more about states rights

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    All [darn] Yankees must [darn] die!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

we could have a civil war duel... you get a whistlin' dixie muzzle loader, and I'll take my yankee yellowboy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

j

18. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

here is the take on it from a DOD schooled person. The war was started because the southern states were going in a direction that that the rest of the country didnt like, the "union" was voluntary and as such the southern states decided that that would suceed from said union. Lincoln didnt want the country to split and said that there would be no seperation of the country. At this point Lincoln and Jefferson were at a impass, as with most problems of this sort that have no debatable outcome that is favorable to both parties the war began. The biggest mistake alot of people make is thinking that the war was about the slaves. If Lincoln didnt want slaves anymore he could've just wrote a law forbidding it and that would be it. The Imanicpation proclimation was only given after the battle of Gettysberg to win public support because most of the country was getting tired of the war as those who dont have to fight them always do. Really it was a difference of opion that had no other way to worked other that war.

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

see the problem I discovered was that in the shcool during our whole thing with the flag, the teachers told people that the flag stands for racism. Someone would ask, whats the flag stand for? in like a math class, the teacher would respond, racism. Oh thanks teacher you really rock at helping things. Teachers interjected far too much personal opinions, and the people that believe its all racism don't stop to listen to the truth. Sometimes I really thought I was the only one in History class that heard the teacher truly explain the Civil war!