Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Confession

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dave A, Jul 19, 2000.

1. Dave A

Dave A Registered Member

My name is Dave and I love K5's. I recently sold my '84 due to "Chronic Money Pit Syndrome" I guess its been long enough that I must have forgotten all of the pain, mental anguish, empty wallet, thinking "if I just fix this one last thing, that will be it, nothing else could possibly break" (only to have one of the things I had fixed previously break again)because I miss it and want another one! Talk about masochism. I tried to talk myself into a Sub or a crew cab pickup (need room for the kids, dog and gear)but even used those are stupidly high priced. I probably will not buy any thing for six months or a year because I want to save up dough so I can do it right this time. I'm calling my first K5 an education. This is just an introduction and to let you guys (and Females) know that I'll be lurking around and might ask a few questions. I've been watching this board for a while and wish I had found it a long time ago. Might have saved me some trouble. Thanks for listening to me vent/ramble.
    Dave

By the way, I'm 29 and live in St. Louis, MO.

2. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard friend.
    I, like you had a blazer before. When I sold that one, I was broke from trying to do everything at once[​IMG] . But once you go big there's no other.[​IMG] I looked at old k5 blazer's in add's for 1 year. When I finaly desided I could not live without one anymore, I bought a plainticket, went and got it and drove it home, 3 days strait. Happy again.[​IMG]
    I know now from my experience with my first Blazer that there is almost nothing I cant fix myself with the help from this board. I'v also learned that small things shouldn't get in the way of the big picture. And there is always more than one way to go about something. I used to take every litle worry I had to the $hopp. I was their favorite customer at one time.. Now I just go inn when I need to order part's.
    Darn this got long. Well,anyway once again welcome to the brotherhood of <font color=blue>CK5</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Espen88k5 at:http://www.espen.coloradok5.com</font color=blue>

3. Dave A

Dave A Registered Member

Thanks for the welcome. What frustrated me about the '84 was that I have the Blazer I want already built in my mind, but whenever I had enough $ saved to start the mods I wanted, I would end up having to spend it just to keep the rig on the road. After about 5years of ownership and over 10grand invested including purchase, it was in no better shape than when I bought it. When the 700R4 blew up for the second time in two years, I sold it as is to a buddy of mine with a '82 Jimmy for $650.
    The good part is, I learned alot about working on it and alot about what to look for when buying a vehicle. I look back now and realize that the signs were all there that this rig was a POS when I looked at it at the dealers. I was in a hurry, got it in my head that I wanted it and believed everything the lyin dealer told me. (Whats all that tranny fluid dripping off the tranny and X case? "Oh, thats just residue from the recent rebuild." New paint? Niiiice.) When I was looking at Grand Wagoneers for my wife a couple of years ago, the people must have thought I was nuts, I practically tore their Jeeps apart in the driveway inspecting stuff. I don't want to screw myself again.
    Dave

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Well, instead of venting, why dont you go wheeling? With what you ask? I have a 1978 K5 in St. Louis, MO. I could take you to Potosi, MO to give you the fever again. Let me know. I live in Kirkwood. neilmarietta@toast.net

[​IMG]
    Mudzer 1978/91 K5

5. Dave A

Dave A Registered Member

Its very generous of you to offer to take a total stranger wheeling! Is it public land in Potosi? I've only been on private land before and nothing difficult as my k5 was pretty much stock except for 31in tires. I'm planning on building my next Blazer for trail use so I would like to see some areas in MO where that is possible. If you don't mind, I will email you with a few more questions.
    Kirkwood eh? Thats not too far from me, I'm in Southwest City near "The Hill" Thanks again for the offer!

6. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

maybe you could buy buttman's 89.
    or is it tuskadero's?

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

7. Dave A

Dave A Registered Member

This is all I have to say about that: Never have I heard of a man being so aptly named. Are you sure He even HAS a Blazer?

8. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Welcome aboard Dave !!!! You know if I had a dime everytime I thought about getting rid of mine , I could by everyone a Blazer . I think I'm in it for keeps . Good luck with yours or finding ( not sure which )

9. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Dave,
    Welcome ! I live in north county St louis and drive a mild 82 K5. (33's and 3inch lift) Maybe you, me and Mudzer should hold a CK5 reunion here ?!?
    Blake

10. Dave A

Dave A Registered Member

Hey! Nice to meet ya! What high school did you go to? (Just kidding, I think that's the dumbest thing) A meeting sounds cool. That is, if you guys don't mind me driving up in a '90 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. At least it's a fullsize! Its my wife's, but its all we got until I get another K5.

11. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

stop rambling and go wheeling.
    pick up my '77, I've dropped lots of dollars into it and need to free up some cash to make payments on my wifes new car. I owe somthing like 1550 and I'll sell it for what I owe on it.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

12. Dave A

Dave A Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. I checked out your rig in the "For sale" board. I think this time around I'm going to spend a little more $ upfront and get somthing as rust free as I can find here in Rustville, USA.

13. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Good move, My first rig was an 80 k5, and man it was i giant piece-o-crud. The second time around I waited and looked and waited and looked untiln I found exactly what I wanted, A TBI, bone stock, bare bones 2 owner 1989 k5 Blazer. It had about 120,000 miles on it, but was in good shape. I wanted a stock one because I knew that I was NOT going to do any mods half assed this time. And I have found that most folks dont care about quality they just want "good price" and also a stock rig tends not to have been wheeled as hard, in my opinion. That was over a two years ago and it hasnt given me any problems. (knock on wood) All the upgrades incuding rebuilding the trans have been by choice not nececity. So I think you are on the right track take your time bro. And welcome aboard. DBLAZER

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. NEW AtlassII being installed