Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Confirmation on 1/2 ton u-joints in late 80s 10 bolt.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BadDog, Mar 7, 2004.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I previously thought that 10 bolt rears typically had 1310s series joints. But, we just installed a 10 bolt in my son's K5 that appears to have a 1330 yoke. Is that correct? I’m afraid my knowledge of late 1/2 ton stuff is not very complete.

Also, AZ guys, anyone got a junk shaft with the correct tube yoke intact that they want to part with cheap? If not, the weld in tube yokes are less than $30 so he can afford it along with a professional retube (Th400 and 205 now)...

2. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, It's a 1330 style but is offically called a Sagnaw44 size...S44.

Blake

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

are you looking for the yokes in the driveshaft? i have the stock driveshaft from my 1986 k10 long bed, minus the slipyoke, i could cut the end off and you could have it for shipping costs.. truck was a 4 speed truck so its the same as a one ton...1350 i think?

4. BadDog

Thanks, but it needs that 1330 thing, unless I can find a 1350 yoke. Hmmm, maybe that's just what I'll do. I need to call Jess and see if he can get one for a 10 bolt. I've still got a drive shaft and spare joints from my old 1350 truggy shaft (before I went 1410). I could build that for him, and if he decides to go C14FF in the future, the shaft would still be good (assuming I allow for the small change in pinion length).

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

well i still have the pinion yoke from the 10 bolt that i blew the govlock in that mated to that driveshaft.. you can have it for shipping if it helps..

6. BadDog

Sweet! That would be great. I'll PM my info, send me a price and the check will be in the mail... Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It is not a 1330 or a spicer joint at all. It is a saginaw S44 joint (thus the internal locking clips).

There are conversion joints to help you hook up that axle if you need.

8. BadDog

Thanks. Actually, I don’t have a u-joint or shaft (and the pinion yoke has straps but they’re missing) so I didn’t realize it used internal clips. All I had was the yoke to measure and it looked like 1330 dims. But this S44 thing does explain why the yoke didn't mic exactly what it "should" for a 1330.

Back when I was running 1/2 ton stuff on the trails in N AL, it was all D44/C12 setups, and the 10 bolts were "those toothpicks in the new trucks". Trucks too new to be beating on anyway, and the first 10 bolts had very bad reps at the time. Even my last mild rock/trail K5 (75 K5) had D44/C12. So I've never really had any experience with 10 bolts.

In any case, looks like I (or rather my son) will have a 1350 10 bolt yoke on the way soon so it won't be an issue. But, just for my edumacation, how good is the S44? It appears to be almost exactly the same dimensions as a 1330. Which means it should have the same angularity limits, but what about strength? Probably about the same too I guess?

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes you are correct. Angularity limits have more to do with the yokes used than the joint itself, and strength is right at a 1330 IMO.

10. BadDog

Yes, the yokes are an important part of the equation. But all other things being equal (as it seems they are) I figured that was a safe guess.

[Edit] BTW, the other yoke didn't work out so I decided to order one from Jess. This one will also be modified to use u-bolts instead of straps. I've got so much left over 1350 stuff from the old truggy shafts (and no longer needed spares) that it pretty much offsets the cost and leaves him ready to go 3/4 or 1 ton if he ever takes an interest...

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It seems to me that the stock saginaw yokes bind much sooner than your average 1330 yoke would. I think that most of the Spicers are engineered for more angle, but I can't say for sure.

Prime example is the front CV joint that is saginaw style.

12. BadDog

Ahh, very good point. I had not connected those particular dots.

Frankly, I don't care for any of the Sagi joints. I've never liked the Sagi CVs and from what I've seen and people I've talked to lately (mostly since this came up), I don't care for the S44s either. I'm very pleased with my decision to switch to the 1350. After this, he will basically be running my old 1 ton drive train from the truggy except for the axles themselves. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif And if I can find some Mogs cheap (yeah right, Mog and "cheap" in the same sentence, who woulda thunk it...) he might get the axles too...

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Saginaw S44, this joint we're referring to, is the same one found in the front CV as well.

I have never broken mine but I'm going to be going with a 1350 CV and 1410 up front because my pinion angle is causing the 1310 that is there now to bind.

14. BadDog

Assuming you have the Sagi CV. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif And I also prefer the Spicer CV.

15. ford_assassin

ford_assassin 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, It's a 1330 style but is offically called a Sagnaw44 size...S44.

Blake

[/ QUOTE ]

Would that be the same for the rear driveshaft on my '86 K5 Blazer? What are the fronts, 1310's?

Thanks guys!!

16. BadDog

Wow, back from the dead... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Lower front is 1310. Upper depends on the CV you have, probably the S44 in that year I think. Rear varies as well, but assuming it's still stock and an automatic with rear 10 bolt, probably S44 there as well (based on this thread and what we found in my son's).