Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Confirming And Assumption - Thermostat

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Resurrection_Joe, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I am mostly engine ignorant so forgive the blatantness of this but

I just notice my temp gauge climbs steadily for 5 miles at 60mph to the red zone and then after a bit it floats back down to where it used to always sit

I assume my thermostat is doing this and possibly was not working before?

I dunno........

Thanks

2. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Sounds more like your thermostat was working before, and it is now sticking closed.

3. Resurrection_Joe

Would it be that predictable?

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

or maybe coolant getting low? Any leaks that u know of?

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Disconnect the temp wire with the engine warm, (doesn't have to be running, just key in "run" position) should go to full cold, then ground the plug to the block, should go full hot.

Just quick checks to make sure it isn't the gauge or wiring. Sounds like the t-stat, but the guage/wiring check is quick and easy. I guess theoretically the sender could be bad, but that doesn't seem to happen very often.

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

$2.45 for a thermostat and $.35 for a gasket... and a bloody finger from stabbing yourself while scraping the old gasket off.

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

My truck started to do something similar which is extremely weird because I have a 4 core big block radiator behind my 383 and it has always always ran very cool. I have narrowed it down to a bad t-stat because my sender and gauge seem to be good. Atleast by pulling the wire off the sender and trying that. But a few other things you might want to consider to is make sure your water pump is pumping. Take off your radiator cap when your truck is cold, fire it up and give it a little rev while watching the coolant level. You should see the coolant moving and actually go down an 1" or so when you rev it. Secondly, make sure that your lower radiator hose isnt collapsing that can make things heat up in a hurry. Either way replacing a t-stat is a few minute job and only costs a few bucks so give it a try, hope this helps.

8. Resurrection_Joe

Hey thanks everyone, it's been a while since fate has actually forced me to do something mechanical and not just sleep all day

9. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    $2.45 for a thermostat and $.35 for a gasket... and a bloody finger from stabbing yourself while scraping the old gasket off.

[/ QUOTE ]Damn, that is what I always have to pay.....the bloody finger that is!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif