Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Confused? 10 bolt vs Dana 44

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bluecollarjock, Mar 24, 2007.

1. bluecollarjock

bluecollarjock 1/2 ton status

Im buying a Dana 44 and 12 bolt with 4.10s. Good condition need nothing, just a paint job which the owner might do for me for $50 more bucks, clean them up primer and paint.

Question, I have been reading all night on here and seems the 10 bolt is just as good or better than the Dana 44? I thought I would be upgrading with the Dana 44 and 12 bolt compared to the stock 10 bolts with 3.73. So for the price of the 44/12 bolt, especially since I have a buyer already for my 10s with 3.73 and only 88k miles, I thought Id be stepping up in the world. I have 8" lift with 36x15.50 Baja Claws. It runs okay with the 3.73s, but I thought they were weak and on my old 87 I had in high school I blew 2 10 bolts before swappin in a 12 bolt which held up until i sold it. I only had 33s and a manual 4 speed, granted I really really beat it bad, but the 10 bolts didnt hold up.

My plan was getting better gearing with the 4.10s, stepping up a tiny bit in strength, says the 44 looks to have flat top knuckle so upgrade later to crossover (my steering STINKS now), and buying an ORD 4" shackle flip too to replace my rear blocks. Thought maybe the ORD plus a 1" zero rate, and the add a leaves, would level her out. Is this swap advisable from you gurus? Im an idiot Ill admit it when it comes to mechanical stuff and just learning from doing all the reading on here.

So, 86 K5, 8" leaves up front, add a leaves and blocks in rear, 3.73 10 bolts....is the hassle of the swap worth it for 44/12 bolt with 4.10s, and potentially doing crossover in future, and at same time of swap doing ORD shackle flip and 1" zero rate?

Plans for truck include camping, light trail riding, some mudding, and weekend warrior joy riding in the city. Need it to be reliable since Ill need to drive probably 2-3 hours to get to a trail.

Thanks!!!!! Here is a pic of it below Ive posted on some other messages too just to give you a look see.

100_0038.JPG

100_0039.JPG

2. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

Wow, nice looking rig. I would say that the swap is worth it for YOU. 4.10 would be a good ratio with those 36"ers and swapping axles can be a lot cheaper than gear swaps. Plus the 10 bolts are worthless s10 axles IMO. The dana 44 can be built to handle but it costs$$. All depends on how you drive. From your description and the looks of your truck it is mostly DD. So I say yes it is worth it and go for it.

BTW, be prepared for a d44 vs. d60 battle. Feelings tend to heat up, so I will go ahead and state the obvious: Swap in a Dana 60 if you can afford to now.

3. bluecollarjock

HAhah...thanks for the quick response...BTW Im up on here late because Im recovering from a surgery for those wondering about the times!

I know, I was heart set on a Dana 60/14ff, but kept missing out on the good deals...or couldnt make it in time with my health issues...but they were looking around $1200 a pair, then Id still need u bolts, u joints, move the perches, new rims, etc....this deal came up, $220 for the Dana 44/12 bolt, and $50 more if I want him to clean and paint them. I was like what the heck its not 4.56 and 60/14ff, but for a FRACTION of the cost? AND I get to keep the new fancy 6 lug rims, I thought what the heck. 4.10s would be nice and so would keeping my rims.

I can hear out the Dana 60 debate...I just dont have tons of money, Im a poor cop and have had a hell of a year with 3 surgeries and took a huge loss in pay from no SWAT overtime or being able to work extra patrol shifts. For under a grand Ill get 4.10, shackle flip from the same guy new in box for $150, probably buy the zero rate, and still be ahead of the game.

Plus, its not even a DD, its just a weekend toy. I have an 04 Grand Cherokee HO V8 for those duties, and once I get healthy I get my SWAT take home car back...so really, this is just for cranking up the country, towering over all the yuppie sedans and imports, and ticking off the liberals in DC cruising the streets....and if and when I find some trails, light mudding and camping. Nothing too hard core, not at least until I am comfortable and trust its reliability more. Barely drove this thing in 6 months due to health....only 88k original miles,with new crate 350 too, new tranny cooler, new radiator, edlebrock carb, weiand intake, dixie horn haha, lift, rims/tires, and although Id never need it or pay for it, the PO put in a box full of subwoofers, 6x9s in the custom interior, and a huge amp....so this is just my weekend warrior trail and camping rig....and if I get lucky finding someplace to go ground hog hunting again!

God Bless!

4. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

sounds like a good plan. BTW, I am a night service supervisor at a production facility. That why I am on on hear at this hour:D . Good luck with your recovery.

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Clean rig...

and your reading was correct, no dif between a 10 and 44...

your truck will definitely like the gearing better... Don't know what your paying for the 12/44, but something you may want to consider is looking around for a 3/4 ton set.... if you don't mind changing your rims to 8 lug, I'm sure the 6's could be sold... 3/4's can be had cheap..

90% of what you'll find in 3/4 will be 4:10's, with the occasional set of 4:56's.. Now that'll be an upgrade.. the 14ff is stout... better brakes, etc...

6. bluecollarjock

$220 for the 44/12 bolt....had been looking for 3/4 tons for quite some time,the timing just hasnt been right as far as jumping on the good deals. Sometimes location becomes a hassle to because of shipping or long drives and needing to borrow a truck...these are close enough I can do pick up in a day, and a friend already wants the 10 bolts for a back up vehicle of his, so its basically going to cost me nothing.

I wont be beating on it too bad...if I end up keeping it and upgrading down the road, Ill get the 3/4 ton stuff. Im keeping my eyes open just in case but for now jumping on the 44/12 bolt. Just like getting feedback from you guys on here since so many people seem experienced, knowledable, and super friendly!

7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

10 and 44 are the same strength wise. Get the gearing you want.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

As said D44 and 10 bolts are pretty much the same.
    IMO 10 bolts are a tiny bit stronger. 10b have a thicker pinnion shaft. and 10b 30 spline axles are stronger than D44 axles.
    D44 has slightly thicker axle housing tubes.
    But they both share the same weak points=Ujoints and spyder gears.
    going to 4.10 will help a little it will be better but but it really is not that much of a change from 3.73 with 36"tires. 6 of one. half dozen of the other.
    4.56 one ton would be better

9. bluecollarjock

10-4 appreciate all the input. Like I said, in my fantasy world I wanted 4.56 CUCV running gear, but the deals just havent worked out in my favor. Im not going to be beating her hard, at least this summer, so the simplicity of keeping the rims with some better gearing is appealing.

If I end up keeping her next year, and start beating it a little harder, Ill keep looking for one ton deals. I live in a rental property and am lucky to have the driveway. Most places in the DC metro area, even if you own, if its not a single family ($500k+ for a small entry level home), you are lucky to have one at most two parking spaces. Between my DD SUV, and take home SWAT car, this breaks the camels back if I move again...hell Ill sell my DD to keep the trail rig haha...wait, it wont fit in the parking garages!

God Bless, thanks again for the continued input.

BTW I love your quote "I tried religion, meditation, even therapy... then I realized all I really needed was more horsepower. " hahahh nice nice!

10. bluecollarjock

Also looking for some used crossover steering stuff..figure try to do it while doing the axle swap...

11. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

x2 on what leper said. you're pretty much just upgrading gears. not gaining any strength from 10bolt to d44, and the 12 bolt is a small improvement, but far from bulletproof.

ask a jeep guy about the d44, sometime. they seem to think it's the most amazing axle on the planet, just because it's in the rubicon. ha.

oh, and since everyone is saying why they are posting late...i got home about half an hour ago, and let's just say i wasn't the designated driver.

12. runamok151

runamok151 1 ton status Premium Member

i'd wait on getting the 44/12 bolt. not much of an upgrade strengthwise or gearing improvement. if you're happy w/ the 10 bolts, i'd regear them. they're already under the truck, and have better ground clearance than a 12 or 14 bolt. and it doesn't sound like you're flogging it so strength shouldn't be a problem. 4.56s would be perfect w/ 36s if you have overdrive. if you really want to upgrade wait until you can find and afford a d60/14 bolt, hopefully ones that are already geared. start buying all the little parts now that you'll need for the swap so your wallet doesn't feel it as bad when you're ready to go to 1 tons.

btw. nice looking truck. i don't remember the last time mine had a shine on it like that. and i can empathize w/ you. i've been cut twice the past year and i'm waiting on the 3rd. same line of work.

13. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

it'd be cheaper to just throw the other running gear in, than regear...

14. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

x2. Plus it's not that tough a job to do with a couple of extra hands. Just make sure that you go through everything while the axles are off the truck before throwing them on.

15. bluecollarjock

runamok, sorry to hear about your surgeries. Man, I dont know about you, but a year for me off the street, and not doing SWAT, is driving me INSANE....I also was doing a lot of strength coaching at Georgetown and trainign with the varsity athletes...so my life went from 5th gear, patrol in the high crime district, SWAT call outs and warrants, lifting and running with D-I college atheltes, to being a desk jockey...did a short stint in major crimes unit which was good experience but Im not into white collar crime, all my time was on the computer doing research...then was doing Peer Support for a few months working with psychologists after two of our cops got gunned down by an AK47 at a district station, and the last 8 months or so been changing all the PT programs at the academy and training SWAT and bike teams...so thats fun, getting to train speciality units, but still I cant train!!! Hence buying the K5 to relive my glory days wheeling in high school!!

Regearing down here is $800+ per axle, so Id rather just chance the swap to 4.10 going smooth for $220...and try to get some crossover steering. It runs well with 3.73 now, but Im going to buy the 4.10s, have my mechanic go over them really well, buy shackle flip, zero rates, and maybe crossover. Once Im a little better in a few months ,try to get some friends together and do the swap.

Id love a 60/14 combo with 4.56, but really I wont be beating it that hard, and dont plan on changing tires any bigger anytime soon. The 36s are brand new and plenty big for me. I know the 44/12 bolt isnt what anyone would want on here, but right now with my budget, and my health, its an easy way to get some better gearing and not have to buy rims or other additional parts just to make the swap work. If I blow them out, haha, Ill park it until I get 1 ton running gear, or see if I can get a friend for cheap to regear them to 4.56 with some stronger axles and maybe a locker in rear. Im just looking for a get away vehicle from the city to do some camping, hunting, and cranking country tooling around DC looking down at all the import cars :-)

Ive never cleaned the truck at all..bought it as you see in the pics, new paint, brand new soft ride lift, new rear driveshaft, almost new crate 350, new carb, manifold, radiator, loud stereo system, wheels, interior etc...it has its quirks like little oil leaks and some rattles I have yet to figure out, and wiring is all jacked up so gauges dont work, but over all not a bad deal...just wish I knew more about working on them...I was only good at breaking them in high school!!

God Bless, be safe, and thanks for all the input!!! So far no one has totally shot down the idea, and I knew people would be telling me to do 1 ton gear and 4.56 and thats what I originally wanted..$1k-$2k is just not realistic for me right now on my budget.

Really looking forward to it running reliable enough to road trip. Id love to do some camping or hunting with some of the guys on here!!!!

16. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ha those axles suck, they arent even true d44's. they have d44 center section with d35 outers...what a POS

i say get the 44/12 with 4.10's for now. granted 4.56 would be ideal, $220 is a worth swapping to 4.10's IMO. back when i had 3.73s and 35's that seemed decent, so 4.10's and 36s should be pretty good

17. bluecollarjock

Thanks brother....will be needing your help when I do it!! The 3.73s like I said arent that bad now that my carb is tuned and the engine is running good. They are all painted and ready to rock for you !

18. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

check out my thread bout the truck i bought:wink1: its got some pics for ya:D yea itll be a super easy swap, should take long at all

19. bluecollarjock

sweet! should be picking them up in few weeks...then having my mechanic do the once over...then let me know what weekend you might be here and where we should do it. Ill get my mechanic to come, and maybe try to find some other help. Cant wait to see your new ride!