Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

confused 700r4/205 combo

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dewster, Sep 4, 2005.

1. dewster

dewster Registered Member

hello guys, my 208 took a crap on me trying to figure out about instaling a 205 on my 700r4. I've heard anything from you need to cut your tranny output shaft, to there is a special adapter to space the t case back. what is the downlow the easiest way. thans a lot :wink1:

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The easiest is to get the spacer. If you do not then there are clearance issues with the front drive shaft u joint and the tranny pan. If you use the spacer it moves the joint on the T-case back in relation to the tranny pan and there is no issue. Also you have to take the whole tranny apart to change the shaft because it is the first thing to go into the case on assembly. Easy answer, Spacer is easier and from what I can figure from people on here is the spacer is preferred.

Ira

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I understand that even with the spacer you still may need to cut about 1/8" off the tail shaft of the tranny, no big deal just use a die grinder.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

this is not the exact spacer for your needs but will give you a idea of what we are talking about.this is 4l80-e to 205.

205 spacer.jpg

5. dewster

dewster Registered Member

thanks for the replies guys

I Get It Now But Im Confused As To Which 205 Is Best For The Combination The Male Splined Unit Or The Female Splined Unit? Makes Sense With The Female But In My Research I Have Found That There Are Two Types That Are Both Female. Thanks

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

for your 27 spline 700r4 /th350 shaft count thay only offered the coupler style. the female setup was for 400/4l80-e setups.

7. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I had the same situation w/my 700 when I changed to a 205. It is possible to take a sawzall and cut the output shaft on the 700 off a little bit. Or, order the shorter output shaft and install it in the 700. You can also use an ordinary wood circular saw with a carbide metal cutoff blade in it to get a smoother job.

The first time I did it I just cut off the shaft and it was a success. When the 700 failed the first time I had the shorter custom output shaft installed at that time. IIRC I paid just under $200 for the shaft.

If I was doing it over again I think I would save the
    money and just cut it off. I used a stock, cast iron GM THM350-to-205 adaptor. This adaptor is noted for cracking due to the overhung load of the 205. I believe there are aftermarket adaptors which have a better design.

Just my experience.

steve