Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Confused About Buying Shocks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BrianDamage, Jan 25, 2004.

1. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

I need new shocks bad. I've got one leaking fluid right now. The parts store can cross reference the ones I have on there now to Monroe, but I was wanting an off-road type shock like the Rancho 9000 series (they carry them, but were unable to cross reference them to my existing shocks).

First off, I'm not sure if my K5 is lifted or not. I have been told it probaly has a 2.5" lift,. but I'm not sure. It has 33" tires on it with no clearance problems.

[​IMG]

It has 4 shocks up front. I BELIEVE this is the stock set up. The brackets for the shocks have the factory style rivets holding them to the frame anyway.

The inside shock is a KYB KG5408. It is the shorter of the two, and is the lower mounted one. (about 17.5" with the tires still on the ground)

The outer shock is a KYB KG5477. It is the longer one at about 20 inches or so, and mounted higher than the other.

Here's what is confusing me:

First off, while trying to cross these myself, the only place I had any luck was on Advance Auto's website. Only they list the KG5408 as the outside shock and the KG5477 as the inside shock.

These are both for stock height.

Over on O'Reilly's website, I've been looking at the Rancho 9000's trying to figure out what I need. Under the 2.5"-4" lift, they have listing for the outer at lower mounting, long shock or outer at lower mounting, short shock or even inner at lower mounting, long shock. But there are none listed for " inner at lower mounting, short shock, which is what I have. There are also not any listed as "outer at higher mounting, long shock", which also what I have.

Anyway I can measure what I have and tell? Do I need to jack the wheels off the ground to do it? Anybody else have this problem?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

first of all, you dont need 4 shocks up front, unless you are into desert racing or something, just get one for each side up front... save ya some $ that way.

second, I think the easiest thing to do would be to remove one of the shocks and measure its length when collapsed and extended and then order shocks accordingly. You may even be able to get part numbers on the web if you know what lengths you need.

last, if you are replacing shocks anyway, now might be the time to upgrade the shock mounting system as well. The ond ford shock tower + rear shock x-member upgrade doesnt cost much and it'll allow you to use shocks with more travel. Just an idea, if you use or plan on using your rig offroad it might be something to think about.

j

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea like jek said, if u dont want the inner shock u dont need it, they basicly just look cooler lol. and yes that is the factory mounting, some came with quad shocks, like my 84, and some didnt.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

quad shocks made sense at a time when shock technology sucked... thanks to monster trucks though, shock tech has got a heck of a lot better. One at each corner is plenty for most apps.

j

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    thanks to monster trucks though, shock tech has got a heck of a lot better.

[/ QUOTE ]

:cough: :cough: Wrong discipline of the sport :cough: :cough: :cough:

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Monroe and Rancho shocks are made by the same company, for future reference.

7. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Monroe and Rancho shocks are made by the same company, for future reference.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering that...seens like I had heard it before.

I was sitting here thinking last night that if they can cross the KYB to the Monroe, surely they can cross that Monroe to the Rancho.

I'll have to stop by there today after work and see. There's a couple of guys up there (at the parts store) that really need to think about a new line of work. Maybe I can catch one of the older guys there that will know something.