Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Confused about gear ratio...Have 3.08 on 35's moves out

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LIFSVR7, Apr 13, 2003.

1. LIFSVR7

LIFSVR7 Registered Member

Confused about gear ratio...Have 3.08 on 35\'s moves out

I have a 81 Blazer 6in lift and 35's, with a 350, basically stock, has 3.08 gears with posi in rear, Trans is a manual 3sp w/ granny. But the truck moves good... no lagging to complain about, and I NEVER use the granny... so what is up?? In theory this thing should be a dogg... Is it that thetransfer case is different...and how do I tell?? FYI when it is in 4Lo I can put it in gear and let it drive away in 2nd w/o even pressing the gas! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Re: Confused about gear ratio...Have 3.08 on 35\'s moves out

You sure you have 3.08s? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Maybe the previous owner changed out the gears, thats what happened on my Jimmy.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Who knows man its possible, don't ask me why but my friend has an F150 that has 6" of lift in the front and 8" or so in the back and 35s all around. 4 speed with Granny gear and a 351. He runs a 3.23 or soemthing liek that I believe, before he was like 3.08. That thing hauls, I drove it and my K5 is a dog compared to that truck. I don't get it. I think he uses granny gear to start out though. 31s and 2.73 I need granny gear bad to start out.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You just don't know what power feels like, that's all it is. Trust me, if you were to change your gears to the 4.10-4.56 range, you'd be astounded!!

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I did drive my friends 91 shortbed with a transplanted SM465 and 4.56 gears. WOW that thing hauled. So yeah he is right it may be alright for you now but lower gears would be just plain nice.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Gears are the best thing I ever did to my truck. I want to go lower now!

7. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yep, i know what your talking about, i have 33's and 3.08's with the sm465, and i use granny when i feel like it, and my truck does haul alot of balls, especially when the thing hits the power band, then LOOK OUT. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You should try swapping from a 700R4 to an SM 465. You'd be surprised how much balls your truck now has, no longer choked by that worthless slush box!

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

see what you just said about hitting the power band, with lower gears your in your power band a lot more. Like now when I shift into third its like a 4 or 5 second delay before I hit my power band again. Lower gears that will be almost non existent.(and opening secondaries which I recently discovered mine don't)

10. LIFSVR7

LIFSVR7 Registered Member

<font color="red"> Well, I do know because unfourtunately that is what they replaced them with... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif didn't know till it was too late... guess I will have to dealwith it for now (until I rebuild the motor to crazy torque at low end) /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font>

Now how high should the RPM's get (redline)? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gifInstalling tach soon