Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

confused about headers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by testosterone, Dec 15, 2002.

1. testosterone

testosterone Registered Member

Im just confused...I dont have a load of money to spend on a set. My brother has a set off of an el camino that had a 350...would those fit? I did a search and read that with alot of the headers they rub on the drivers side shackle...
    would these work if the headers my brother has wont?
    summit racing.they are 79 bucks...but they say offroad or racing only..i imagine this means they wont pass smog here in nevada...thanks
    Vendor: Summit Racing Equipment
    Product Line: Summit Performance Headers
    Material: Mild Steel
    Finish: Black

More power for less money

Chevrolet/GMC: 1967-87 265-400, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton truck, 2/4WD, 1 1/2 in. primary tubes, 3 in. collectors, headers

Our Summit performance headers are manufactured in the U.S.A. from heavy gauge .049 tubing, mandrel bent for superior flow and greater horsepower. The headers feature a pressure formed collector for better flow rate, 1/4 in. thick collector flanges with O-ring seal, and jig welded tube-to-flange plate for perfect fit. Gaskets, mounting hardware, and reducers included. For off-road and racing use only.

Sold as a pair.

or how about these hookers for 145
    Vendor: Hooker Headers
    Product Line: Hooker Competition Headers
    Material: Steel
    Finish: Painted

The best headers for your money.

Chevrolet/GMC: 1969-91 265-400 Blazer/Jimmy, (2 door), 4WD, 1967-87 265-400, 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton pickup, 4WD, 1 5/8 in. primary tubes, 2 1/2 in. collectors, Competition headers

If you're looking for a header designed for maximum street performance, look no further than this pair of Competition series headers from Hooker. They're designed for the value conscious buyer with stock or mildly modified engines. Made from durable 16 gauge steel, each set features 5/16 in. thick flanges that are heavy enough to maintain header integrity yet pliable enough to seal each exhaust port.

Sold as a pair.

2. Chris87K5

Chris87K5 1/2 ton status

I ahd a set of those summit headers and they are junk. Mine cracked and rusted real bad within a year. i just bought and installed these.... Dynomax .......they fit really well and they look good too. I also got a Headman O2 sensor collector from summit. my exhaust is getting installed tomorrow.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Save your money up till you cann afford the Doug Thorley headers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I've got the Hooker Competition headers. I like them. They aren't noisey like the Flowtech ones (Summit brand) like some of the local guys have. I think they're the best bang for the buck. They look like they're only going to last me two winters though. They're worth the $150 especially when a new y-pipe is $110. I also bought the tubing kit from Hooker and with hindsight I wouldn't have. I wanted something I could throw on my truck in a hurry (new motor and exhaust during spring break) last spring.

The Hooker collector gaskets aren't worth a [censored]. They lasted maybe an hour before they cracked. I've had problems with collector gaskets constantly. I'd recommend aluminum or copper ones. I've gotten to the point I just let mine leak. It sounds kind of cool (OK, so I tell myself that so then I don't have to crawl under there again. hehe.). Also, use stainless nuts and bolts on the collectors. The Hooker ones rust mighty quick.

EDIT:
    The "for offroad use only" means that they're cheap, thin, headers. They don't have provisions for an oxygen sensor or A.I.R.