Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Confused - How many oil pressure senders on a TBI engine (87 and 90)?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mattman, Oct 24, 2002.

1. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

This has me confused.

I have a wrecked 1987 Blazer that I am pulling the 350 TBI and transmission and putting in my 1990 Jimmy with a bad m350 TBI and tranny. In tearing down the 87 I have found two oil pressure senders - one in a port directly above the oil filter and one near the distributor. I have looked on my 90 and my wife's 91 Suburban and both only have one. Also, both the 87 and 90 have factory oil pressure gauges. The other thing is the one above the oil filter only has a spade on it not a GM weatherpak connector but it does have the corrugated covering and does go into the wiring harness.

So how many are there supposed to be? I have heard of a oil pressure switch for the TBI, but where is it? The one near the distributor only had two connections in it. So does the gauge and the computer use the same sender and if so, how does that work?

As you can see I am really confused on this one. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

2, one for the computer, and one for the gauge/light
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The one behind the distributor is for the gauge. The one above the filter is an oil pressure switch that is wired into the fuel pump circuit. This may be different on the '90 or '91 trucks.

4. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

Now I'm really confused. Does anyone know where the second one is on a 90 and 91? I can only find one on each. My Chilton's only shows one. I do have a factory service manual and wiring diagrams on order so they should help when they arrive.

5. 85 blazer

85 blazer 1/2 ton status

There is only 1 on the 90 and 91 89 was last year for 2 senders