Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

confused

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 74K5Jay, Oct 18, 2000.

1. 74K5Jay

74K5Jay Registered Member

Hello,

This is my first time on this site and my first K5. I have had it about a year. It was a gift from my father-in-law which fell apart 4 months later ( gee thanks ).
    I am writing because I have a 74 K5 that i am rebuilding and was seeing if you have any suggestions or places for parts. The 74 K5 is actually an 86 frame and drive train with a 74 body bolted on with minor modifications. I don't have any idea about the gearing or anything. I was told that the 86 OEM had a 305 motor. I have recently put a 350 w/vortec heads,aluminum intake, edelbrock carb and cam, accell dist., headers w/dual exhaust, th700r4, and the entire leather interior from a 99 tahoe. The next step is 4" or 6" inch lift not sure which one though. I don't have any idea what to do about the diff. if it's strong enough or if i should replace it. What do you suggest? Any good places to buy weather stripping? I am also having wiring problems as in there are too many unused wires. I was thinking of ripping them all out and putting a aftermarket wiring kit in. any good places to buy one without spending a fortune. any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jay

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Wow, a 74' Body on a 86' frame. I'm assuming the rear bed is flat correct? Or does it dip down for leg room? Reason I ask is b/c the frame for K5's from 73' to 77' is like a P/U short box. The rear has a place for a bench seat, but is flat like a p/u truck. 78' to 91' were different. Much better for passengers. Anyways...try http://www.longmotor.com that's LMC page. Order their catalog (free) They have almost every single piece that your Blazer needs. JCWhitney also sells some stuff for your truck and also weather strip. There are also many other companies out there, but I don't know their urls. Like Golden state P/U parts and others. So far your truck sounds sweet. When I bought my 75' K5, it was rotted and beat to hell. Now its pretty good, (except the fact that I shorted a wire today and almost roasted the truck[​IMG]. But hopefully I'll fix that today.
    Oh, check out painless wiring for your wire needs. But they are pricey.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

3. 74K5Jay

74K5Jay Registered Member

hey

boss, yes it does have the flat rear bed. thanks for the info. I saw pictures of your truck its nice. Do you have a lift ? What size and what tires are you running? I am considering running a 4" w/33x14.5x15 m/t's any ideas about what gear ratio i should run?