Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Confussed Willy, needs guidence..please help

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 55Willy, Sep 8, 2002.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm pondering going to a steering set up based off of yours with a K bracket on the passenger side. so the steering would go from the 2wd box to the lever off the bracket then to a seperate arm back to the raised steering arm on the axle that is left on the drivers side.

now for the reasons..
    cheaper.
    easier to switch once my 60 shows up( like magicly on my porch,LOL)
    better flex.

down sides..
    headache of sitting it up.
    strength issues??
    turning radius changed?

-Jeremy

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The idler arm only appeared on mine to get the steering box out of the way of the tire. It was going to be a major pain to mount the box on the inside of the frame rail and get a shaft to it, so we put it where it was somewhat simple to mount the shaft up, and ran the idler.
    Basically if you are willing to fab the system, it can work well. You do need to work on the ratios, you can probably use a 1:1 like mine, although you do have other options. It definitely needs to be beefy and tied into the frame well. You will have extra steering linkage and joints to buy/build. So overall, it may be more expensive than just running a more conventional linkage. We've considered doing the same thing as a way to get around the right side 10bolt/D44 knuckle problems but you're adding a lot of complexity and cost to solve the problem. It cheaper and simpler to just do a standard crossover.
    One thing that you probably won't have issues with the I did is the angularity of the ends, with my front wheel travel and steering angles I really wanted to have the draglink heim joints rotating in the correct plane which I was able to do with the idler system, but with a more conventional suspension, it's not a big deal.
    There's pro's and con's, up to you now!

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

At that point it might be eaier to just go full hydro.

4. Stephen

And give up a major chunk of street legal, or on driving over 50 mph (comfortably)? Not worth it to me. I've seen full hydro work and work well, but it's not for me at this point.

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

When was the last time you drove any distance on the street?

6. Stephen

4 or 5 weeks ago, drove to rifle, wheeled, drove back. 25 miles of 65-75mph interstate, (and yes I did run 70-75 and it was nice) and about 7 miles of 65 mph and city, each way. Not something I do weekly but still nice to have the ability. Heck, even driving around Moab going to the trails you need to be able to run 55-60mph without white knuckles. For that matter, you need to be able to run at least 50 just coming out of gold bar rim! Way I hear it, full hydro gets attention intensive at anything near highway speeds.