Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Connecting extra piece of exhaust pipe

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Panther, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, sorry this is not about my Jimmy, but it's a pretty general question and I was hoping someone could help me out. I went to install my catback and new cat yesterday on my Sonoma and came across a problem. (From not measuring it,) The new cat is about 5" shorter than the old one.

I plan on cutting the y-pipe just in front of the old cat so that gives me a 2.5" OD pipe. My cat is slip on (2.5" ID). So I'm trying to figure out the best way to fill the 5" gap b/t the 2.5" OD pipe and the 2.5" ID pipe (cat).

The catback is stainless and I am trying to do as much as possible in stainless or at least so that I'll probably not have to do it again.

My first option is using a piece of 2.5" OD SS I can cut down to 5". But then how do I connect it to the 2.5" OD pipe I already have. I am using the 4" long stainless band clamps (instead of the u-bolt style) so I'm wondering if that would hold the weight of the pipes.

My second option is to go to Pep Boys, etc and get a piece of patch pipe that is 2.5" ID on one end and 2.5" OD on the other. But that will not be SS obviously and I've had mixed success with those pipe pieces in the past.

My third option is to get a piece of pipe from somewhere. I was looking at the "tailpipe rings" on this page: http://www.burnsstainless.com/Transitions/transitions.html I'm not sure about those since they are only 2" and I won't be able to weld them. The last thing I want is one of those to go flying through the pipe into my cat. Or I could just get a non-SS piece of transition tube from a local exhaust place. Hopefully that would be a little more sturdy than a piece from Pep Boys.

Thanks everybody /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check with your local muffler shops. Any decent one will stock stainless steel pipe. Many cars come from the factory with SS pipes these days. It's usually only 409 stainless, not the nice silver 3xx rated stuff, but it will last a lot longer than mild steel pipe. If a magnet won't stick to the pipe, then it's stainless steel. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Those shops also have the hydraulic equipment to flare the ends so that they'll easily slip-fit with your existing stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Check with your local muffler shops. Any decent one will stock stainless steel pipe.

[/ QUOTE ]

We must be short on decent shops then /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif . I called two local places last week about it and then stopped at two more this afternoon and no one stocks it. I looked at the pieces at Pep Boys and couldn't bring myself to buy it. I'd rather just use the SS piece I have with the clamp. At least that way it would be easy to take down if I do find a flared SS piece.

Thanks Harry.