Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

connecting solid copper to stranded copper question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R77K10, May 4, 2006.

1. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

whats the best/safest way to join solid to stranded ? im connecting a couple flourescent lights up before they jack the electric rates up, so..

i was thinking crimpable wing nuts would be the way to go

how do you figure out what size ones you need though

thanks

2. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Wingnuts, or wirenuts are fine. How many wires you trying to fit under one? Yellows can take up to three #12, reds will take up to five #12. If you get the actual Ideal brand Wingnuts, the reds will be fine for two to five #12. If you get the soft plastic Scotchloks, get yellows for two to three wires, and reds for three to five. I don't like Scotchloks, the hard plastic wingnuts are the bomb.

EDIT: Oh yeah, when splicing a stranded wire to a solid one, make sure the stranded one sticks out a little farther than the solid one on the end. 1/16 to 1/8 inch is fine. Wire nuts sometimes have a tendency to push the stranded wire out as you screw them down if the ends are even when you screw the nut on. Always pull on your wires after you feel the wirenut is secured, to make sure you have a good splice.

3. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

hey Matt thanks, never heard of Ideal but im gonna try to find them first, but out here in cornfields no-where central IL theres not much of anything lol except two very small lumberyards and uhm a farm supply, thats it

so youre saying the hard plastic ones are better than the ones that you can crimp after twisting ?

im only going to be putting one 12 or 14 guage solid to a 16 or 18 guage stranded

so im confused ?

thanks for any further :D

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

we have ideal at home depot

5. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Ideal

I like to wrap electrical tape on the wire nuts, opposite rotation to keep them from backing off, plus no chance off touching bare wire. Later J.

Thanks for the tip on the edit, didn't know that!!

6. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Ideal is just a brand. For hooking up fixtures, like the #18 to #14 or #12, get the little orange ones, they are the perfect size for hooking up fixtures. The hard plastic yellow ones will work too. The soft plastic ones are Skotch Brand Skotchloks, can be a pain in the ass to get a good connection, and once you use one, if you take it off, sometimes they are impossible to get back on. I just stick with the hard plastic coated ones, Ideal Wingnuta, Skotchlok Wire Nuts, or the like. If you are confused, just look at the box or package, theres a chart to tell you how many and of what size wires you can use them on.

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

we have ideal and some brand called brennan i think? the supply all our splices and disconnects, roach clips stuff like that
    i know it starts with a "b" just dont rember the whole name