Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Connections with a roll back?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by BadDog, Feb 24, 2006.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I need to have a big j-head Bridgeport mill hauled to my house. Anyone got connections with a roll back? If not, I may get one of those "tow for cheap" guys with a roll back trailer to haul it. The more I think about trying to haul it and unload it from my trailer the more I think otherwise...

2. BadDog

Looks like I may have this covered with a guy who does this equipment moving as a side business. He'll set it all the way in my shop for me. :D Now I gotta get out there and clear a spot by tearing out my work bench...

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

ok russ... i already envy your shop... now i dislike the fact that you have yet another cool toy...... yer fired man....

congrats on the MIll

4. BadDog

The only question now is, how do I make that house payment this month, put food on the table, keep the power on, and MOST important, keep Vanessa from finding out!!! :eek: :haha:

JK, it's not nearly that bad, but it sure blew my tool budget all the way to the end of next year! :doah: And I STILL have to buy tooling for it, and a phase converter, and, and, and...

<I'm sorry, but the party you were talking to is no longer available, please hand up and try again later...>

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Memories of Plastifab . I would love to see it when its home :waytogo:

6. 77ChevyK10

77ChevyK10 1/2 ton status

If u envy his shop you would shi* if u saw my shop russ has seen it. russ has a nice shop too. congrats on the mill

Andrew

7. Seventy4Blazer

honestly right bout now i just want a garage to put all my tools and my blazer so i can get some work done on it....

time will tell....
    Grant

8. BadDog

I'll definitely bow before Andrew's superior shop. Big full size lathes, mills, all sort of heavy equipment... <Tim Allen voice> augh, augh, AUGH!

And I sure wouldn't call mine "nice". With the new storage shelves, bins, mill, lathe, and all the stuff getting move where-ever it would fit to get the mill in place so I NEVER have to move it again (god I hope) it is in a worse state of mess than usual. I'm planning to take a few days off next week to gut it and rearrange all the new storage stuff and what not into place. I never use my old work bench since building the welding table, it's become just a "catch all" for clutter. So that's coming out to make room for mill, lathe and heavy equipment down that wall. Lots of work to be done, but maybe I'll have something I can keep organized and more pleasant to work in...

9. Seventy4Blazer

Russ....
    is it really taking a few days off when you work at home?

i dont know how you get any work done anyway. i would never leave the shop....

10. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

russ,
    if you need any help moving anything... give me a call.

11. BadDog

Grant: It's actually one of the hardest parts of working at home (or for yourself in general some times) to keep the right ballance. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't one way or the other.

Juan: Thanks for the offer. My boy is bigger than I am now, so we can handle most of it. How are you at carrying a 2300 lb mill? :D I'll give you a call if we get in a bind though, thanks again...

12. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Only 2300 pounds? Just grab the two wheel dolly and put it where ya want it. Goodness me. You want me to get the 70 year old a couple of doors down to come over and move it for ya?

Laugh now.

Would a rock bar help once you get it on the ground or?????

13. BadDog

Oh, it's in place already and not planning on moving it if I can help it. But I do have a heavy long "pry bar" made of spring steel that will work to get it up on some pipe lengths if it comes to that. My biggest concern at this point is getting it powered and buying/finding basic tooling. I don't even have so much as a collet for it yet. Also got to get a machine vise (probably a Kurt clone and maybe a "precission screwless machine vise" for the small stuff), boring bar, fly cutter, end mills (in a variety of styles and sizes: end, ball, 4/2 flute, roughing/finishing, etc.), and on and on and on. These things are a money pit that makes a 4x4 look like a casual investment from your change jar...