Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Considering 12 bolt swap in my 84 k5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NewK5Guy, Mar 11, 2002.

1. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Somebody gimme a quick run down on what special will be needed. It's no time soon and may never happend, but if it's easier than I think, it may. Details decided on: I would like to use a pickup axle so I won't need spacers to get the wider rear track. I understand the spring perches and shock mounts will have to be relocated. I'm also considering moving to a rear cv driveshaft when the axle goes in so the perches and shock mounts can be pre-located before assembly. Will I need any special u-joint for the 12 bolt? Can I still use the springs on the truck, just with new u-bolts? Is there such thing as a ff 12 bolt? Will my current 15" wheels fit the 12 bolt drums? Will my 84 e-brake cable work with the 12 bolt drums? I have a shop nearby that could probably do all this which I why I ask. They are only 10 minutes down the road so giving them the reigns is no problem. I just want to know what all I'll need ahead of time. The junkyard axle, new driveshaft, and new brake lines are all I can think of.

2. 77Blazer

77Blazer 1/2 ton status

imho just get a 14 bolt just as cheap 2x as strong if not more.

3. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

are u think 14 bolt or 12 bolt ? a 12 bolt will bolt right in and it is NOT as wide as the front . how do i know ? well i have pickup . muhuahaha

4. Headbanger

Headbanger 1/2 ton status

I did the 12 bolt swap on mine and it's a direct replacement. Didn't have to change anything except the u-joint which spicer makes that has the ends to fit the stock driveshaft and different size ends for the 12 bolt. Piece of cake!

5. morpheus

morpheus Newbie

>a 12 bolt will bolt right in and it is NOT as wide as the front

anybody know how wide a 12 bolt is ?

- jack

6. schwinnd

schwinnd 1/2 ton status

You can also get a full floater kit for the 12 bolt through the ORD website.

7. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Just bought a 12 bolt out of a 79 truck and it is the same width as the 10 bolt that was in my blazer. It will bolt right in, the perches and shock mounts are in the same place. You can even use the whole baking plates/ drum brake set up off your exixting axle. You will need a u-joint with different sized caps, or I think you can use the yoke off of your 10 bolt, but you will need a special oil seal for this.

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

If you need some mod parts for your new 12, I have some for sale here:

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=partsforsale&amp;Number=352895&amp;page=0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=>12 Bolt Parts For Sale</a>