Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Considering a '76 400/350... what to look for?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scott66cat, Dec 30, 2002.

1. scott66cat

scott66cat Newbie

Considering a \'76 400/350... what to look for?

Hi there!

Great site! As the title suggests, I'm considering purchasing my first K5. I stopped to look at an all-original '76, Cheyenne trim, 4x4, 400/350 trans. It's rust-free (I love Oregon) and in great shape. No dings/dents/etc. Interior is really nice as well. White with red/burgandy interior. Not crazy about either color, but what the hey.

The seller is looking for $1500 - and I'd like to go back and do a full checkup.

My questions are:

1) Is this a decent price?
    2) What are the common trouble spots I should look for (axles? rear main seal? trans?)
    3) Do all '76 models have a removable top? Or only some of them?
    4) Anything else I ought to know?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

- Scott

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Re: Considering a \'76 400/350... what to look for?

1.yes
    2.rust in the fenders & floors & rocker panels
    3.Yes only half top
    4.Great truck
    I have one, just click "Tweetysuarus"

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Check what Bill told you to check, but I would still buy it for that price if it's running. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I would pay to have a check up. There is a place down here called Car Doctor (or something like that) and they come out and go through the rig mechanically and electrically to make sure everything is in order. When i bought my rig 3 years ago, the #5 cylinder was a bit below par, i had a print out of the compression tests to prove it, and I knew it going into the thing. They also told me everything else was great, for a 25 yr. old truck. The review also pointed out that it was within smog peramiters and the visual was fine.

They came out to the truck, and it Cost me $107 and worth every penny.

5. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school

Wow, a rustfree 76 that runs for 1500! That is completely unheard of here in Michigan... rust rust rust rust rust, that is the only thing you will find for 1500. I'd buy it in a second if it didn't look like a total mechanical nightmare/basketcase

6. scott66cat

scott66cat Newbie

Thanks for all of the input, everyone. I've never had a 4wd vehicle before and know nothing about these rigs. The FAQs (and the search function!) help quite a bit.

Still haven't made contact with the owners - went back for a closer look-see anyway.

On the second trip, it definitely did not look as good as the first trip. There are a coupl of small surface rust spots where the top meets the body (no biggie). The trim has all been redrilled with larger phillips screws holding it on? This plus the overspray on the top seals definitely makes me think it was repainted. Also, the hood/fender alignment isn't quite right - you can see where the fender has been forced out a little to accomodate the door. So it was probably involved in a mishap at some point. Finally, the tailgate has a stock-looking plate that says CHEVROLET and then "Fuel Injected" underneath it. Somehow, I just can't see a '76 being fuel injected - so this tailgate was also probably replaced with a later model.

It has what looks like 111k or 113k on it - nothing leaking underneath and the tie rods and shocks look good.

Interior is faded in the back area and a little torn up. The driver's bucket is missing the back, but otherwise it looks pretty decent.

I'll try the owners again. If I don't buy it, where should I post the info for other interested people to check it out? I know it would be an excellent rig for someone who appreciates K5s.

Thanks again,

Scott

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I guess you are looking for a good running truck that doesn't need work. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Anyway one more thing, I just noticed, you say 400 engine right? this engine is a very desirable engine although from what I know it came backed by the th400 from factory and it has a tendency to overheat due to the design of the block, less water jackets on the outside of the cylinders.
    Just though you might like to know.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. doc70sub

doc70sub 1/2 ton status

Some did come w/ the 400/TH-350 combo factory as w/ my '79 K-5. Most, not all, of the 4x4 TH-400s were in the 3/4-ton & up trucks. Thanks!
    Doc

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well at least 76 and 77 ( I had the sales broshures for those at one point before the fire got them) the only option was the th 400 for the Blazer with the 400ci engine. You couldn't even have it with a manual.
    I don't know about the pick up trucks.
    I am sure the rest of the years there might have been different options, it's been a habit with GM to change every few years. It seemed in 76-77 they were very strict though I don't know why, they had these combos and you couldn't get anything else. you wanted this engine, you get this trans... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. doc70sub

doc70sub 1/2 ton status

No doubt I'd rather have the TH-400 behind my SB 400 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif , but atleast its a 4-bbl (I can't have it all for a $1.... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif) Later!
    Doc

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have a 76 K5 400cid engine, TH350 transmission, NP-203 transfer case. 12 bolt rear axle / Dana 44 front axle 3:08 gears. I bought it from the original owner with only 83,000.00 miles on it. Very little rust, just rocker panels, and some surface rust spots in other areas. I think the weak link in all the K5's are the 1/2 Ton axles. But it's easy to swap in some 3/4 Ton axles. I paid $1,500.00 for mine and went 500 miles to go get it. I say BUY IT !!!!!!! You just need to ask if it's worth the $1,500.00 to you. Have the whole $1,500.00 in your pocket and offer the owner $1,200.00 to start off with.