Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Considering starting a non profit organization

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Sep 2, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I know many of y'all are gonna think I'm nuts for this feeling, but I've known for years God didn't build me to sit back, relax, and just do what I'm doing in this life.

So I've been searching for fulfillment and something purposeful to do, mostly it's been a goal along the lines of becoming my own boss and starting a business of some sort, and retiring young.

However, I've been feeling my heart tugged toward this disaster, as with disaster's in the past. Like everyone (most people at least) who isn't a victim but has to watch from afar, I want to contribute and help the victims. Of course, just sending a check on it's merry way to the red cross doesn't feel like I'm doing anything.

I know there are hundreds, if not thousands, of families across the nation that have opened their households and are willing to take in a displaced family. However, coordination and placement is extremely difficult, nearly impossible. The victims can't get the information off the internet, they don't have transportation anyway, and many of the families willing to help are struggling themselves.
    The Red Cross said it's not something they can do. The best coordination I've seen so far has been through churches (pardon my lack of PC, I mean "religious organizations"), and that's drib drab/mish mosh across the nation.
    I think what's needed is a centrally managed placement agency, an organization of some sort that can coordinate transportation, possibly financial assistance, optimal family matching, federal assistance, etc.

I think I may have the skills or the ideas to coordinate these placements. I have a lot of ideas on what needs to be done and how it needs to proceed and be planned, but I don't see anyone doing it. I can't even find a way to offer my house as place to stay if I wanted to.
    But developing this would require a life shift. I don't think it's something I can do in a weekend, if I attempted to fill this void, it would require full time attention for several weeks minimum. I don't even like staying at my office late if it means I won't see my kids to bed.

-Does anyone know of an organization that does this already, coordinates emergency "foster" placement from disasters?
    -Would anyone want to volunteer? :crazy:
    -Does anyone have any encouraging words to push me forward, or realistic words to get it out of my head?

This is bizarre, and it may never be needed again after this hurricane's mess is cleaned up. Or, it may not be needed at all and I'm just frustrated with the lack of organization in the whole relief effort overall.

I don't know why I think there's even a chance I'd really be able to do something like this...

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

GOD BLESS YOU RATCH, your heart is strong in the LORD.that is a momumental undertaking.but for you to offer your house and eventualy give up your life for others is awsome. :D :D :D

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i don't think there is anyone that does that.it could be done though, it would take time but so has this.! 2005 and people are dying from starvation.no food, no water, no sanitation. :confused: DARYL

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Lookin to get your hand bit huh Ratch...?Careful bud or you may come away from this with a new heart tugging need to kill. Take care of your own and maybe your local community but if you extend your helping hand any farther and you may pull back a bloody stump.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Thanks Daryl, but I dunno if I quite have the sack to wholesale offer my house out, but I know there are many people that are.

Fumes, that's kind of one reason I think this is an effort that needs to be managed. "Family matching" would probably make a statistical safety difference to these families that want to offer their homes out to victim families. The way it's going now, a gang member could pose as a broken family and go rape and pillage the generosity of one of these families. This could be a protective and helping organization for both sides. I'm thinking as long as we have the best records possible of who's where, if that "foster" family shows up dead, that relocated family shows up in jail... Maybe a 20 question computer form filled in by both sides and scored to determine what family would best be able to help and be close enough to minimize confrontation.

Yeah, I'm aware of pulling back a bloody stump, that's I think a large factor holding me back.

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Spread the word of the true American spirit, give pistol lessons, hugs! MAKES SOUP!

That's really nice of you though:laugh:

7. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Hey, good idea. Not to make light of it, but I can help you with the logistics! You could use freight management software. Instead of tendering loads, you could tender families, and people could accept the tenders. I'm sort of kidding, but some software along those lines would probably work, and I know you'd be the guy who could write it. Hats off and much deserved admiration to you for even thinking of something like this! :bow:

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I thought all youse guys from New Yoork were tough guys :D

You got some great thoughts Ratch, but I think they would be much better suited for something of a smaller scale.
    In a case such as this I don't see how cramming all those people into a sports complex is gonna solve any problems. Why cant a temporary city be set up some where. What I mean by that is. Both times Our Troops went to the Gulf they set up tent citys to house thousands of troops. They had sleeping quarters, hospitals, eating quarters ect ect. They could do the same thing somewhere with all of the above but they could also have schools. Do it somewhere near New Orleans to put the people to work cleaning up that area and getting the ports and petrolium industrie back up and running. Its their area and they are gonna have to be the ones doing the dirty work to clean it up, so you might as well have them there to do it. They need something to do other than sitting in some old sports complex.

9. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

check out samaratans purse (check spelling) they dont get much publicity but do help out in these kind of disasters around the world, billy grahms kid, franklin, runs it, i cant seem to spell anything this morning, he talks about the same thing you are thinking, they are down there helping too

10. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Ratch.. great idea, bro. If you couldn't do it, you wouldn't have been given the idea.

Maybe a good place to start would be to network in locations where you know families who can accept the refugees, so you know they've got a place to stay.. then, network with churches and charities in the affected areas who are working with the refugees now, so you can help ease their burden.. make sense? This way you can see how things work now, and you can improve the process as you go along.

If the red cross can't do it, and the existing method of coordination is " Mish / Mosh", perhaps it'd be more effective to use your skills to organize the existing method to make it work, rather than reinvent the wheel.

Something else..please don't think that just cutting a check means you aren't "doing enough"... your money is you... you traded hours of your life to earn that money, so your heart, soul, and skills are represented by that money. Your money and what you do with it is a very spritual subject.

Some people are called to build a soup kitchen.. others are called to serve the soup.. others are called to write the checks that buy the soup to be served. There is honor and God's love in all three callings. and one can't exist without the other two.

Tom