Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Considering Welding up the front Spider Gears

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Corey-88K5, Dec 24, 2000.

1. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Here are my thoughts. The axle is a full floating axle. If i was to break a axle, or the gears, The shafts could be removed if need be. If it came down to it, I could always unlock the hubs if turning was a problem offroad. I just can't think of any real downfalls of this. I"m thinking that I may go with upgraded axles.

Your thoughts please...

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez</A>

2. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Bad idea! Its no fun at all. Try unlocking a hub when the whole system is binding up in the middle of a turn. Backing up is not always a option either. If you ever decide to go back into the snowbelt forget using 4WD in the snow. IMO save your bones and get a ARB, and have the best of both worlds.

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I had a buddy want to join us on a trail ride with his mud bogger race truck. He had a welded front diff. It worked like a d*mn... in a straight line. If he got crooked at all and wanted to turn, he would have to get out, unlock the hubs, and try to get straight, then get out and lock them again. He could not turn at all. His truck took a beating because he went everywhere in 2wd (pedal down), until he was stuck, then (if he was straight) he would lock the hubs, and try to get out in 4wd. Then he would go home and replace his front axle u-joints (which he ended up breaking every time he came with us) and call me and want to come next trip.
    I decided then and there that it maybe wasnt such a good idea...

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

4. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Thanks,

I may rethink the locker option again.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez</A>

5. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

I have my front end welded and yes it can be a bit of a bugger to make turns when your going slow,it's real interesting in the snow too. Mine is only temporary till i can afford a Detroit for the rear.

Bill Innes
    88' Jimmy
    [​IMG]

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey Bill, you mean you're open in the rear with the front welded? I saw some of your 'carnage' pics the other day on bc4x4.com!
    I did the opposite, I welded the 14 and kept the front open. Its also interesting in the snow! At least the front end helps me turn in the snow though[​IMG] I am hoping to have enough money saved sometime before I die for an ARB in the front.

Rene

[​IMG]

7. Danswift79

Danswift79 Registered Member

Why don't you go with a spool? If you don't like it and didn't mess anything up you can always swap it back. Aubern makes a pretty cheap one. I am gonna put one in my step dad ran on his camaro and see if I like it. I'll let you know the results. I plan on taking it to the new TMTC place in Gilmer Texas and supposedly they have the trails to test thoroughly. I'll let you know

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I agree that an ARB would be the ultimate, but like most other people I can't afford one right now. I've seen a lot of Detroits and Lock-Rights in the front of vehicles and they don't seem to unlock in most situations when off-road anyway.