Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Construction advice needed

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by shewheeler, Sep 2, 2004.

1. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I'm starting to get going on getting a garage built at my house. I have been working with someone who is drawing up the plans for me. Now I am in the process of getting some bids. I got the first one back to me last night and I was pretty shocked by the total cost.

This will be a single story, detatched, 2 car garage with a small workshop. The total square footage is about 772. Not what I would consider to be very big. There will be 2 oversized rollup doors, 2 man doors, 3 windows and a couple of skylights.

The bid that came in last night was $48,500 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

This was for everything (including all the finish work) except the electrical.

Does this sound right? I have heard that the cost of lumber and concrete is up, but that still seems very high.

Would it be cheaper (and, if so, approximately how much) to act as my own general contractor?

Is stucco cheaper than siding?

Any and all advice/tips welcome!

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Who gave you that number???

3. shewheeler

Not tellin' yet /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thats twice what I paid for my home. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

5. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

yeah, it seems a bit on the steep side...your looking at about $62.50 a square foot...and thats not even living space! Have you considered one of those steel garages...i don't think they cost that much installed. You can put it up yourself if you want over a weekend (all the parts are numbered etc) to save $$. I'd definately shop around. I'm not familiar to Hollister-where is that at? U in or out of town??

6. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

Cheryle,

I have a couple of questions to help answer your question.

Is the framing 2x4 or 2x6?

Is it going to be insulated?

Are you having the walls sheet rocked?

Is it on a slab or raised foundation?

Stucco can be more than siding but not always.

I believe it would be cheaper to act as your own General.

Make sure to get at least three bids.

Good Luck!
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. shewheeler

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah, it seems a bit on the steep side...your looking at about $62.50 a square foot...and thats not even living space! Have you considered one of those steel garages...i don't think they cost that much installed. You can put it up yourself if you want over a weekend (all the parts are numbered etc) to save $$. I'd definately shop around. I'm not familiar to Hollister-where is that at? U in or out of town??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I have considered both the steel and pre-fabbed (tuff-shed type) buildings and, while, yes, it would probably be cheaper, it's not what I want.

Hollister is Central Coast area of Cali. About half-way between Monterey and San Jose. I'm in town.

8. shewheeler

Is the framing 2x4 or 2x6? Not certain, but I'm guessing 2x4

Is it going to be insulated? No

Are you having the walls sheet rocked? No

Is it on a slab or raised foundation? Slab

Stucco can be more than siding but not always. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I believe it would be cheaper to act as your own General. OK... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Make sure to get at least three bids. Working on it... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Good Luck! Thanks!!!

9. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

Cheryle,

It seems a little high but not by much.

My guestimate would be about $45,000.00

The way construction materials are going up in price nowadays is pretty crazy.

As I'm sure you are aware, price is only one factor. Quality of workmanship and the quality of window, doors, skylights, siding, paint etc. is another.

Also, make sure the person/company is licensed, bonded and insured.
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I just built one in So. Cal... Mine has one man door, and 3 windows. It's being sheet rocked but no insulation and is attached to the house with a 31 foot breezeway that is 6 feet wide and covered. Roofing is comp shingle. It has a regular automatic roll up two car door. It's built on a slab and includes flat work walkways around the garage. It is being sided with T-111 siding. This is a contract job built for a previous customer. The entire contract is $31,500.00. If the garage were to be built without the breezeway it would have been about $25 or $26k... Here's a pic of it from 2 weeks ago. Hope that helps. It should be finished in another week. All I have to do is drywall it now. It's just getting the walls. No sheetrock on the ceiling.

[​IMG]

11. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I would have to say it's high by TX standards, but I don't know about CA's. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif When you compare house prices between the 2 states there is a very big difference in the amount of house for the dollar. I'd crap myself if a garage was gonna cost me that much.

Have it built here, and push it there... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12. gokartergo

[ QUOTE ]
    Not tellin' yet /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Why??? Where not bidding againest the general contractor..

13. gokartergo

And call Marcus contruction for another bid..

14. gokartergo

Marcus construction.. 636-8138 Ask for Don.. Tell him ADM electric sent you..

15. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Act as you own GC and sub out the framing, roof and slab and do the rest your self, just have them frame the shell, set your own windows & doors the side it yourself. Use Hardi for the siding its easy to put up try to avoid a custom size garage door and check your local independent lumber yard for some windows that were ordered wrong but will still work you can save all kinds of cash also check for miss ordered doors.

I'd cut you a deal but the shipping would kill ya /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

16. landsmasher

[ QUOTE ]
    I would have to say it's high by TX standards, but I don't know about CA's.

[/ QUOTE ]

In CA we have very high workers comp. Gas prices and material shortages have boosted the cost of materials sky high. We also have very high structural engineering standards because of earthquakes. All of these things about triples the cost of building here...

Prefab has actually been taking huge leaps in the construction industry so the idea of building it there and pushing it here is not all that wierd. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif But it still has to be structuraly sound for earthquakes..

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

$50k for a garage?

Damn...a few years ago we were getting bids for a HUGE barn right @ 20k + concrete (40x45, 10' walls, doors, the whole nine yards).

18. landsmasher

First I didn't say $50k... I said $31,500.00 including a breezeway. Second this includes the concrete. Third this is CA and not ILL.

19. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    Is the framing 2x4 or 2x6? Not certain, but I'm guessing 2x4

Is it going to be insulated? No

Are you having the walls sheet rocked? No

Is it on a slab or raised foundation? Slab

Stucco can be more than siding but not always.

I believe it would be cheaper to act as your own General. OK...

[/ QUOTE ]
    All outer constrution for something like that needs to be 2x6
    No insulation and no rock.... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gifFor that price I'll fly down and ding something together for ya... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifAnd as far as being your own contractor that can be a PITA.... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifI think you need to do alot more searching, maybe used materials , less of a building as far as doors and skylight type stuff and think about sweat equity.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gifThat price seams high even for kalifornia standards... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

20. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    In CA we have very high workers comp. Gas prices and material shortages have boosted the cost of materials sky high. We also have very high structural engineering standards because of earthquakes. All of these things about triples the cost of building here...

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif