Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

construction guys I have a question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by arq, Apr 15, 2006.

1. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

Do i need a footer for a non-load bearing, one-hour rated wall??

I am enclosing the laundry area in the garage. there are three existing walls and I am adding one. the wall/partition is non-load bearing. This wall will now become the new fire-wall separating the garage area from the living space with a door into the garage.

I turned in my remodel plans and got my permits. I did some electrical/plumbing and called the inspector cause i needed to close that wall up before continuing. He mentioned I needed an 18" footer(great break concrete:eek1: ) for the wall i am putting up cause it's a firewall. I went back to the city and asked to revise my plans to include the footer for the wall. The person there(director) told me that a non-load bearing, one-hour rated wall did not need a footer, all said.

Now I've heard that all fire wall need a footer. It would make sense since a firewall has to stand up on it's own if a fire breaks out, or is this for commercial 2+ hour firewalls? I'll need refrences to the code books, preferably federal or california.

thanks,

ARQ

2. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Since its non loadbearing Id say no, since its fire rated Id say don't know check www.jlconline.com or taunton.com (breaktime forum) might be soething there

3. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like BS, I been part of 1000's of feet of fire wall w/o footings. There me some other requirement for a garage/living area separation wall though, but no a fire wall does not need its own footing. As long as it starts on a concrete slab or rated UL assmbly and continues to the above structure it should be fine.

4. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Ask the inspector for a copy of the code that states the added footer, and what Code book they use. Also inform him that the city plans review office didn't have a clue about the need for extra footer. I looked in my IBC 2000 (commercial) book and didn't see anything that applies. Are you adding Air/Heating to this room? Is the liveable area Floor of the house higher than where the laundry room Floor is?

6. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have remodeled many department stores and hospitals with fire walls. None of these required a footer to be added, besides how can you in a multi-story. Anyway, all walls constructed of 5/8" gypsum and metal studs are fire rated minus the fire caulk. What are you going to be using for the construction. If they are salt treated wood studs with the appropriate gypsum you will be alright. Of course this is all according to the Southern Building Code. If you need me to I will check with our building inspector about the new federal codes we are switching to.

7. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

"jerry, that's a load bearing wall!"