Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cont. k5 fumes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poker, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Poker

Poker Registered Member

when i said it smokes me out i ment that the exaust fumes are killing me.
    when i drive and roll the window down the fumes just roll in. its not black smoke or anything like that just the smell of fuel vapor... make me sick and queezy. when i get out i smell like i have been in a monster truck show in the cheap seats. dont know why it does that. i had it looked at and the guy says there isnt a leak anywhere.

trying to find out any suggestions.

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

cross poster :shame:

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Sounds like it's running too rich. I didn't see if you are carbed or fi, but nevertheless, it still sounds like too rich a mixture.

John

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

how many tail pipes and where do they run out?

The only way I had very little to no fumes rolling into my back window is when i had my tail pipes turned out at 45's out the rear...... anything straight out the back will roll right back in.... even at 90's they roll almost straight back in......45 degrees seems to work in my experience

5. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

Thats what the pupose of that disco looking wing that goes back there!!! :D

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Exhaust pipe placement is important, and other good, effective suggestions I know from experience work, have also been posted.

Rear wing works. Keeps dirt/water off the window, and keeps the fumes down. Side exit exhaust in my case works fine...GM wouldn't have designed it that way if it didn't work. Rolling the door windows down makes a big difference when the rear window is down.

Taking off from a stoplight, I've NEVER been able to completely eliminate the exhaust smell, simply because you aren't moving fast enough. Easy take offs help though.

7. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

bring it into the shop or have someone adjust the carb on your truck. If it is a carb. Or if it is EFI, it needs to be checked out.

8. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

sounds rich to me, try turnin in the screws on the carb. doin a tune up on it might help too if its been a while. but usually when u roll the window down you'll most likely get fumes unless your pipes exit in front of the rear tires. in my k5 when it was stock i had a single exhaust exit behind the tire and i still got fumes when i got on it on the free way but, it also was runnin rich and burned oil really bad. but if your smellin raw fuel its probably runnin rich try turnin in the screws on the carb just a little or advance the distributor a hair.

9. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Like others have said, exhaust placement and the rear wing are what eliminate the smell. It doesn't matter if your fuel system is too rich or lean as hell, the smell will come in the window.

10. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I do have to agree with Nonesuch. I have a rebuilt Q Jet I just installed that is PERFECT, but I can't run with the rear window down 'cause my exhaust pipes dump right before the rear axle. Now that the fenders have been hacked, I plan on having the exhaust run where it originally exited (but on both side of the truck now :D ). I never had fume issues when the pipes were located there.

John

11. Poker

Poker Registered Member

thnx for the input guys. im gonna give a few things a try.

its not raw fuel that i smell just the exaust vapor's. and i have a brand new holly 650 from the holly distr. Summit. so maybe i can adjust it a bit. but where would i get a "wing" from? would aiming the exast down help, beeing there already at 90' on each side.

thns a bunck

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Stock, GM ran the exhaust tips with a "half" 45* angle (towards the ground) so that will effect exhuast outlet, if only a very small bit. Just have to look at stock exhaust systems from that era to see what I mean. Not turn downs, just the way the end of the pipe was cut.

The wings are the same between suburbans and Blazers, (and quite common) but not with roof racks. You can buy the "well nuts" to anchor them at a GOOD hardware store.