Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Contact Lenses

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

It's about time for me to get my eyes checked again... It's been about 2 years and I'm definately in need of a new prescription...

What do you contact wearers think? Is it worth the cost? It doesn't seem too outrageous, though a new pair of lenses would be wayyyyy cheaper in the long run...

It would be nice to wear my own sunglasses, though, instead of the ghey clip-ons I use now... And not look like the doofus with glasses... :crazy:

I think I might go get examined next pay day, in about two weeks...

2. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

I can't stand having anything near my eye so I couldnt handle contacts. Just do what I do, lose your glasses and don't wear em.

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I kinda like the double vision... :laugh:

4. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

go with invisiline braces. That way no one sees the metal in your mouth.

5. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I like contacts. Been wearing them since I was 14 and now I'm old.

I recently got a pair of glasses. First pair since 14. Good for throwing on in the morning or at night.

Worth it to get the right prescription for your eyes. My eyes are now the same prescription in both so I don't even think about which one goes in which eye. Besides having your eyes checked can also help detect other health problems.

I am contemplating having my eyes fixed. Lasik or something similar. I twould be nice to always have clear vision. My 2.385679 cents worth

6. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had Lasik done about 2 years ago, I'm not as happy with it as I had hoped. Bad night vision and not near the definition I was expecting. But, it still beats the hell out of wearing glasses.

Get contacts and glasses. That's what I did until I got lasered. Glasses for when you really need to see well, and contacts for when you don't want the hassle of glasses.

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I see better with lenses than glasses, my glasses are only for nightstand use. As far as the cost, I can get a years worth of disposables at Sams for around $50, and I never clean them, just chuck 'em when their dirty.

I'd like to get the Lasik too, but have a few friends with the same outcome as chalet2506, so I'll wait a little longer.

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Get the disposable contacts. You get them in a box of ten or so. Wear them when you want to. A 3 month supply used to last me a year, because I wore glasses most of the time. If I was going to the lake or out at night I wore the contacts.

On the lasik note.........1 in 5 people that get it have problems. They don't tell you that. I don't know how the FDA approved a procedure with a 20% failure rate. One of the reasons I got lasik was to get rid of the halos around lights at night. Now the halos are 3 feet in diameter. I can see when I wake up in the morning, but if I want to solder or read a book, I use reading glasses or a magnifying glass. I used to be able to detect cracks in cold solder joints with my bare eyes. If I'm working under a dash I can't see really close up any more. If it's raining, I don't drive at night. I only drive at night if I have to also. Oncoming headlights pretty much blind me. My eyes stay dry and I spend more on eyedrops than I did on contacts. After talking to a couple of lawers, basically I'm screwed(because of the paperwork they make you sign). The doctor offered me a "tune-up" on my eyes for only 700.00. No way I am going through that again, and take a chance on going blind next time.

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

You guys who had lasik, did you have the traditional lasik, or did you get the newer intralasik done? Also, were you nearsited, far-sited, astigmatism, etc?

Im wantin to get intralasik before I apply to NCHP, as I cant wear contacts (theres a thread on here about my.....experience), and glasses are a massive pain in the butt, so I just go around nearsited as hell.

10. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

like this one? :D

really though, you want to be a trooper huh? what county?

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

first choice by far is mecklenburg, then gaston, then iredell. Wanna stay in this area, and I want interstates.

12. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

sweet. wish you all the luck with that.

13. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Thanks, gotta lose some more weight, and probably gonna go to CPCC this fall, take BLET and start the application process next dec/jan.

14. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Blade free Intralasik. I was about as farsighted(+5 in both eyes) as you could get and had been wearing glasses since age 3.

The procedure was guaranteed and came with a $100 for a revisit if I needed it within 3 years, which I do, so I'll probably go back and have them burn some more off.

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i love my contacts. Until laser surgery is perfected (ie you dont have to go back and get zapped again 5 times :rolleyes:) I'm going to stick with them. Glasses suck. They fall off your head and crap. The only time glasses are better is when you have safety lenses and you need eye pro. Other than that, I'm all about the contacts. Don't even notice that they are there 99.9% of the time.

j