Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

contact lenses

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddysub, Apr 14, 2003.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

alright i'm sick and tired of glasses!!! im going to contacts next month wen my insurance kicks in and im elidgable. who all has switched from glasses to contacts? is it hard to do? wats it like? im getting laser surgery wen i turn 23 (im 18 now) cuz yur eyes change twice in yur life. once between the ages of 18 and 21 and once between 45 and 50. so im gonna wait til im 22 or 23 to do it. but i jus want to get rid of the damn glasses, so im going to get contacts. ive heard of contacts that u can leave in for up to 3 weeks at a time. that would be nice since i have a hard time touching my eyes. so ne help ne one can give me would be greatly appreciated. thanx.

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I switched a few years ago and LOVE it. I had a hard time adjusting b/c my eyes were very sensitive. You get used to it though, atleast I did, don't think twice about it now. I wear mine way longer than I'm supposed to, usually go a couple of months unless they start bothering me.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I agree, I have contacts too. My eyes seem to get tired faster sometimes, but they give me much better vision than any glasses can. I have disposables, I'm not sure what the life span's supposed to be, I just use them for about two months usually. I fall asleep with them in on the train a lot, but they're fine.

Touching your eye will only freak you out the first couple times, believe me, you can get over it quick.

4. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

i tryed to get contacts but they werent quite worth the hassle for me (im in the shop too much and i go backpacking for weeks at a time). But my bro and my mom both have em and love em.

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I switched to contacts a year or two ago. Wasn't too bad at first. You'll spend several minutes in front of a mirror for the first couple of weeks trying to get the damn things in and out (your eye's will close and blink them out no matter how hard you try to hold/pry them open). But, now I put them in and out without even thinking about it - and can sometimes do it without looking in a mirror.

I use the 2-week disposable ones. I think you might be mistaken about the "leaving them in for three weeks" (unless there's a new medical advance I don't know about). Mine are soft lenses that I take out every night and put in every morning. After two weeks I throw them away (usually go a little longer than that though). There are "dailies" too that, obviously, you put new ones in every day.

All in all, I love contacts so much more than glasses. I'm also going to get that laser surgery once I'm out of college. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I forgot to add, I meant to earlier;

For you guys considering laser surgury; Research it like crazy before going in!! A friend of mine had it a few years ago, and while it improved her vision, she can only spend a few minutes in front of a computer screen before being in pain. Not just CRT's, but any screen.
    I was gung ho for surgury until I saw her with that. I work on computers for a living, if I can't see a screen anymore, I gotta go find another career, and wheelin' don't pay much in NY these days...

BTW, Heavy4x4 just reminded me, I've never used a mirror since I got them, and when I've tried it always takes longer. I find it harder to move my hands if I have to keep my eye following it...

7. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

I have both just cuz sometimes i dont wanna take the time to put them in for the short trips ya know.But contacts are great.

8. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

My eye doctor is really cool, she told me to wait on laser surgery until I was at least 27 because your eye is still changing enough up until then that it's not a good idea. They do it right there, so I know she's not handing me a load of crap. If she was she'd be pushing me to do it, to make money. She is by far the best person I have ever seen.

I wore contacts for quite sometime. Started with the hard ones, they drove me crazy because my eyeball is really curved. Everytime I blinked I could feel em rub on my eye lid. I switched to soft lenses and loved them. I stopped wearing them about a year ago because I was having problems with allergies. I was getting the lenses you replace every 3 days, but then replacing them once a week. My eye doc said it's ok to go that long, but no longer. Said it saves a bit of money, but you still get to replace them often enough to help prevent getting eye infections.

If you can, I recommend getting something with a tint to it. Only out of if you drop one so you can find it again. You get over jamming them in your eye real quick. The first few days you will think you are retarded when you do it. They'll end up all over the place or you'll think they are in, then realize it's stuck to your thumb... biggest favor you can do yourself is get a case with a small mirror on it. If you are out and one comes out, and you cannot see to get it in it sucks! Least for me it did! Remember eye drops and saline are your friend! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I am 19 now, and I've been wearing contacts since I was 9 years old (4th grade). I wear soft contacts that I take out every day and put them in every morning. I really like them.

I never had any problem touching my eye and I put them straight in and pull them out. You might have a rough time if you have sensitive eyes. My dad definitely did.

10. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

I have been wearing contacts since I was very young as well. I love them. You have to follow the rules though. Take care of them, don't sleep with them in etc..... or you could get an eye infection. I have never had an infection or any problems but I take care of them and my eyes. Putting contacts in for the first time is kind of amazing. for me it was like seeing for the first time. It is a pain in the butt at first and like someone else said you will spend a lot of time in front of the mirror trying to get them in. But stick with it and after a while you can put them in in seconds. I have glasses to wear if I get up in the middle of the night or when I am in bed about to go to sleep watching tv but doesn't compare to my contacts. The difference is with glasses you can see just in front of you. But contacts covers your whole eye therefore you can see out of your entire eye and not just out of the glass placed in front of you. Definitely worth it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I agree be careful with the lazer surgery. I have heard many problems as well. Yours eyes are not something to take chances with. Research research research....

11. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The difference is with glasses you can see just in front of you. But contacts covers your whole eye therefore you can see out of your entire eye and not just out of the glass placed in front of you.

[/ QUOTE ]
    This is very true. Took me a few days to get used to it, got really dizzy. I have the two-week soft contacts, usually get at least a month out of them. Just be sure you don't put them in inside out before rushing out the door or it'll fell pretty funky. I was sick of glasses too and I'll never go back. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I got em, like them a lot, way better than glasses...i thought it would be a good idea to leave them in for 2 weeks like you said, i think everyone does that at first. Well, i was sleeping one night - with the contacts in - woke up and my eyes stung like crazy and were bleeding. I take them out now whenever i take a nap...dont want that happeneing again

13. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I've been wearing contacts for close to 10 years now. I wear the 2 week disposables but usually get a month or so out of them. Like everyone else said, follow the rules and they will be comfortable and your eyes will love you for it. On the rare occasion that I fall asleep wearing them, my eyes feel like they are full of sand when I wake up( /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) So take them out every night! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm 20, I've been wearing contacts for a couple years. They rock. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Never wore glasses. I think i have a set somewhere. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I got a question for all you contact lens pro's out there. I weld and fabricate for a living...I have heard it's possible for the contact to fuse to your eye if you get flashed (welders flash.../forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) Anyone wear contacts while welding or anything?

I'd love to get rid of my glasses even though I'm quite used to them, but if it's too risky to use at work there wouldn't be much point.

Rene

16. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sure, I've welded quite a bit with my contacts on. I've even looked at the arc while tacking something. Seems pretty normal.
    They just dry out while i'm keeping my eyes open, and it's a pain in the ass sometimes like once in a while it's all blurry out of one eye till you rub your eyelid and recenter the contact.

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hmmm, I might just look into a set then. I've had some pretty nasty flashes though, so I'm pretty paranoid.

Rene

18. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I've welded quite a bit too while wearing contacts. I have inadvertedly looked at the arc flash as well with no harm done(except for the spots you see for a few minutes /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif) My cheap welder is always live when the power is on so I've seen my share of "oops" flashes. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

no contest, contacts are 100x better than glasses. just my opinion. I hated glasses falling off my face, breaking lenses, scratching lenses, looking like a putz (no kind of glasses or sunglasses look good on me) etc. AFA laser surgery, i am gonna wait a few more years... the techniques are always improving... and I want to see them get better before I go in. It seems that some people getting it done to fix problems with not being able to see far away get the surgery... can see stuff far away PERFECT but then their close up vision slowly gets worse and they end up needing reading glasses. My buddy nick here at PSU had it done a year back... he wears reading glasses now. bad times.

j

20. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I need contacts, got glasses, never wear em cuz i look bad enough without em (no offense to those who wear glasses, just do nothin for me lol) Anyway i could use contacts so i can see better, end of day its like wtf does that say over there and its like 20 feet away. My only i guess freak me out thing, would be if i fell asleep with em in, and somehow they slipped up on top or under my eye and got behind it or something. I know thats probably impossible but its just kinda onea them squeemish feelin things.