Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Contact owners...help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, May 10, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hello...people on here with contact lenses...I need help.
    I have soft contacts, and always...somehow I get little TINY hairs on the lense...or something small anyway. How do I get these off? Usually I place the contact in my palm of my hand and make a shallow cup with my hand...then fill with contact solution. Then I gently rub the contact to try to get the junk off the lense...only 65%of the time it works...
    How can I get this junk off the lense? I have NO clue how it gets on there...maybe dust in the air or something, or maybe it is sitting in my lense holder, and when I pck it out it attaches itself to the lense.

Any suggestions?

2. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Soak the crap out of it, that's the only way. Check it closely too, I went to put mine on this AM and there was a big rip in the side of the left one, thank God for disposables.

I fricken hate these things though, I'm ready for Lasik but every time I have an extra couple grand to spend it goes to something fun instead of the surgery :blush:

3. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just pinch the lens...and add drops until they're clean.

4. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I use alot of solution, spray it till its clean. I've been lazy lately and started wearing my glasses more often. Time to get the contacts back out to wear sunglasses though.

5. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I just put them in their holder with new solution , make sure it's sealed, then boil the container in a pan of boiling water for 10 minutes once a week, works every time! :D

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Matt, you put the actual contact container in the boiling water? :crazy:

I do soak them, usually if I can't get all the stuff off (it usually feels weird on my eye) I put new solution in the container, seal it up...and SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE for a few seconds. Then usually it comes off.
    When I was in L.A. I was trying to rub a hair off the lense, and it was a bit dry...and ripped :crazy: Luckily I had 2 extras...just in case.

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Then squirt them with solution before you put them in. Make sure your fingers are clean, I get most of my fuzzies from the towel when I wash/dry my hands before putting contacts in.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Same here, or an occasional eyehair (brow/lash) gets in there and hurts like a red hot knife...

Steve, I recommend you stop and pretend you don't know how much saline costs for a minute, and just spray it til the hair comes off. Or, soak it in your palm, clean it, then rinse it. It doesn't matter if you make a mess of saline everywhere, you can clean it up when you can see. :thumb:

9. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Or if you're worried about the cost of saline, rinse the heck out of it with water and then squirt it with saline before re-installing them.

My eye doctor once told me some people put them in after only rinsing with water, no saline. I can't stand that myself.

If I have one really bugging me I usually rinse with water then put some saline on them and put it back in.

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Interesting... I always figured water had too much bacteria or crap in it, but I guess my fingers are probably carrying more of that when I just rub my eye...

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Scott, do you have the soft contacts? My eye contact guy said that water dissolves my contacts...but he was talking about soaking them in water...not rinsing them. So if I rinse with water it isdifferent...I might try that.

LOL I usually try to use as little as I can...but when I am concentrating on getting the fuzz or hair off...and usually by then im rushed and impatient...it seems to spill on the counter...wasting it! LOL
    Thanks guys

12. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't rinse them with water. tap water has chlorine and other chemiclas added.

use a oderless liquid soap to wash your hands...then DO NOT DRY THEM!

you are probaly picking the hairs up from your hand towel or paper towels.

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I fnd that if I don't dry my hands after washing them...when I go to put the lense on my eye, it just folds back and sticks to the moisture (water) on my hands. :confused:

14. JK5

Did Mom buy some new towels????
    I make sure they've been washed...kinda worn...less lint ;)

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Nope, they are old towels...probably 2-3+ years... so less lint :)

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

me i just make sure i have better then 20/20 vision and i dont have to worry about it:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

(just shy of 20/10)

17. muddog

muddog 1/2 ton status

I do the same as mrk5 said and have been for 10 years. In fact its habit now.. rinse under running water then spray with solution....put them in. I use the Focus Night in Days now (they suck), used to use Optima FW's. Will be going back to them.

18. JK5

Cool :D

When I first got my lenses...it was pretty frustrating at first..
    But...now it takes only minutes to get them in...

Sometimes...I'll have some lint or maybe dust under the lense
    I'll flood my eye with contact solution....and blink...that works.

19. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I have gas permiables. I guess you would call them hard contacts.

I've been doing it like that for 15years now. Never had an eye infection(knocks on wood). I put them in right after I dry off from the shower.

My wife has soft contacts and it does seem she has more problems with them than I do. Maybe it is the size difference. The gas perms are only as big as the pupil. Maybe 2 or 3 times a year I will get a hair or something behind the contact and have to take it out and put it back in.

I suppose it's possible that soft contacts are different. It seems odd that water would dissolve them. Isn't the soaking solution probably 90% water?

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Good point, maybe the saline or whatever voids the waters dissolving effect? I will read on the bottlle...