Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

contemplating enlisting for army active duty/training

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Jul 2, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

anyoen here ever joined army active duty and trained for job in the army ?

tell me about it

positives and negatives, both

i am 27 and tired(feel like im 77) and jaded and pissed off and lost and confused, single no kids no anything in life, missing 2/3 of my teeth, and no direction and no foreseeable direction in life, my employment is a dead end no chance of career type job,
    im sick of it all, have been for a few years now actually,

but i am afraid of the unknown and really do not believe i could handle basic training or anything else the army would throw at me, etc.

or if someoen knows of something other than army that could put direction in life and also be employment ?

i need ot do something, if i keep living the way i am and have been so far then im gonna be broke plus homeless in 20 or so years, or maybe less, will have nothing, still.,.

and i dont want to go to school, cant afford it and there arent any schools around here that offer anything even remotely near what im interested in anyways,,

soo..

tell me about army active and their job training

how to prepare for it
    daily life
    living circumstances,
    and so on

thanks

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Army life has changed since I've been in.

Basic training was a breeze, it's just long and you've got some guy with a bunch of stripes with a bad attitude always yelling.

Active duty life was easy. Go sit around all day M-F, then drink beer all weekend.

:D :D :D

3. google

google 1/2 ton status

Another option you can't ignore is Air Force. I just got out of the AF not to long ago. The basic training is only ..... 6 weeks I think. Anyway, they aren't even alowed to cuss at you any more. You run every other day and do push ups and sit ups and what not the other days. It's a breeze. I actually gained weight in basic because I wasn't getting as much of a work out as I did before I went. The only thing that sucked for me was not being able to smoke and caffeen (SP) withdrawls. But I got laid the first day out of basic from a chick at my tech school that just got out too. Tech school is easy too. And there, you don't get yelled at anymore. It's just going to school each day. Then it's cake from there on out. In most jobs, you train every now and then and sit around and do nothing the rest of the time. They say it's "JUST IN CASE".

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

First thing you need to do is take the ASVAB test.
    second thing would be to join the NAVY :D :D :D

I have not Army Experience but i can tell you that i love being in the Navy.

5. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

basic was easy. Alot changed since my dad went or even i went more than a decade ago. It is all a mind game. Like said before may try the air force or if like water the navy. It is not as bad as some make it out to be. I did not have the no cigerette problem. I to gained a few pounds from eating right and the exercise. AIT is not bad niether. It is something to get you started and when you get out in a few years you may choose where you want to live (not that you cannot go back where you are now). In the airforce i here, and may get corrected, you are less likely to be on the ground in iraq and on a ship if you go. I can say that the time in there did help me. Don't want to make this a sales pitch so i will also say that enough desire to work to what ever you want and you will git there. Just try to over come the obstickiles sp. You can do what ever you wnt just put your mind to it and make a plan.

6. google

google 1/2 ton status

We went to the desert all the time, but for a max of 6 months hehe... And, we stayed in the rear with the gear. Left the getting shot at to the jar heads.

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I did 13 years. Got out as an 11B40X (drill sergeant). The physical part of boot camp will kick your butt if not in shape. The rest is mind games, to get you to perform under stress. Being as old as you are, you will be looked to for leadership from the other trainees. The drill sergeants will probably be harder on you also. I believe every grad from high school should do at least a tour in the reserves or natl guard after grad from high school. Your test scores will determine which jobs you can train for. The more technical the job, the longer the training. ALSO<if you fail your MOS training, they can assign you to any job they wish. If nothing else, you can let someone else do the thinking for you, for awhile. You can always join the natl guard or reserves, and if it suits you, apply for active duty. Good luck

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I can't answer from personal experience as I was denied access to the service due to bad knees. But my little brother is a lifer in the marines and loves it.

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Weren't you thinking about the same thing a while back when you were totally down on your luck?

I'd say hit it. You'll never know til you try, but you'll always wonder if you don't.

I think at 27 you should do it NOW, and not wait until your life either gets more complicated, or you're too old and still have to scramble.

At least if you can hack out a military background, you can use it as a springboard into some kind of career or occupation.

BTW, I am 29 now and do occasionally regret not enlisting in my teens. I've had a wife and baby to care for since 1998, and a house to pay for since 2002. If I didn't have those responsibilities, I'd have enlisted years ago (probably September 12th). I still think about reserves, but the 9 weeks at boot camp and likelyhood of an immediate two years in Iraq would kill my homeowner status and make things a lot harder on my wife and kids. I have a world of respect for the men in uniform that are dealing with these things, too.

I say join today, before it gets harder for you to.