Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Continuous Overheating problems....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by waxer@work, Oct 4, 2000.

1. waxer@work

waxer@work Registered Member

In my 74 K5 sits a 350, hooked up to a th350, then to a Np205 which turns a 14 bolt FF with 3.73 gears on 35's. Now when I drive around the street it runs very cool. When I wheel it (driving slowly w/engine working hard) it overheats like a bitch. It has the big 4 core radiator with a Permacool 16" elec fan used as a puller. The fan has no shroud as it is a shroudless design. Now my theory is that there isnt enough air coming through the radiator to cool it down like there is when I'm driving at speed on the streets. What would you all recommend? I could put the stock fan setup back on w/shroud and use the permacool elec as a pusher for extra cfm's. Or I could build a shrould for the permacool...I have already replaced the thermostat, water pump, hoses, etc.. The radiator is brand new.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think the shroud is a very critical part of the cooling system. I would put the shroud back on and try it or make a shroud for the other fan. My truck never breaks a sweat when I'm wheelin (temp wise) and I have a similar set-up to you (except I have a 4 speed) and I'm only using a stock 3 core.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    Your theory is right! you are not getting enough air flow.
    If you put your original shroud back on, and your original fan back on, and move your electric fan to the other side of the rad and rewire as a pusher. You should never have this problem again!
    Nobodys electric fan or fans move as much air as a Mechanical fan!

4. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

This may sound stupid, but check your temp gauge. I went through this last year, I rplaced everything and it did EXACTLY what yours is doing, I switched gauges <font color=red>bam</font color=red> it was cooling fine. HAVE A NICE DAY!!!

[​IMG]
    http://dblazer.coloradok5.com

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I second DBLAZER's idea, this happened to me in another vehicle.
    You could try Redline Water Wetter if it actually is a cooling problem. This stuff really works; I run it in both of my vehicles (NOT in the winter though!!).

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

6. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I ran a singel elec. fan when I first pulled the belt driven fan off and it was just not enough air I tred it with the shoud with out it and there just not enough ait being move over a large amount of the rad. I switche the the duel fans in a mount that seal to the rad and pulls air over a larger part of the rad now it run cold on most but on days when it get over 100 it goes up to 190 or 200.

As for the wet additive I tryed that and it almost cost me a set of heads and the intake, the stuff was eating any thing that was not steal!!!!

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken