Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Controller or Manual GP?????

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Crunk_K5_1984, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Crunk_K5_1984

Crunk_K5_1984 Registered Member

I previously put in a new controller ($463) and it blew a few weeks later after I had new batteries installed now it's in the shop again getting new GP and GP controller. Should I just get some 60g's and a switch?!?!?!?!? Thanks.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That's what I did...new 60G's and a momentary push button...hold button for a 10 count and it starts first time, every time now/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

3. schlechto

schlechto Registered Member

Ouch, you got screwed on the controller. Should have been under $100. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    $463

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The 82-84 controllers never worked that well, and are extremely expensive to replace. Going to the manual GP system is better, but converting to the '85 and up controller is probably best.

Subscribe to www.thedieselpage.com and you'll find information on how to convert to the newer, more reliable glow controller that is much, much cheaper to replace. Or, make your own controller like I did out of a time delay relay.

Like the others, I have to ask.....$463?!?!? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Casey

6. Crunk_K5_1984

Crunk_K5_1984 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]

Casey

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gifInstalled with new glow plugs.
    I personally want 60g's and a switch, but my Dad wants everything to work like it's supposed to.

7. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Then converting to the new style controller is the best route. In all reality, a working glow controller is much safer than a manual switch, mostly so that if for some odd reason like you getting hurt or something, someone else will be able to start your truck in an emergency without having to know what button to push and for how long. They can turn the key, wait for the light to go out, and go on. Even if they don't know to wait for the light to go out, the plugs will be glowing, and it will eventually start.

Casey

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The 82-84 controllers never worked that well, and are extremely expensive to replace. Going to the manual GP system is better, but converting to the '85 and up controller is probably best.

Subscribe to www.thedieselpage.com and you'll find information on how to convert to the newer, more reliable glow controller that is much, much cheaper to replace. Or, make your own controller like I did out of a time delay relay.

Casey

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I have an 82 and I tried finding a controler and finally the only source was the dealer, and they had to order it at $375 I said hell no, I will put a switch.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I was thinking of converting to the later model but being a cheap guy, and savvy in electrics, I decided to go with the switch.
    Replacement cost: under $10 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Replacement cost: under $10
    Starting the first time, everytime: priceless

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

10. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

I want to do that, what time delay relay did you use and where can I pick one up?

11. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Well, I actually used a time delay relay off of an RV furnace....since I had some laying around anyway. The relay is designed so that when power is applied to it, there is about a 10 second delay before it engergizes and completes the circuit. This is mainly used on RV furnaces so that the burn chamber has a chance to cool down after the thermostat tells the furnace to shut down.

So, I had this relay that is normally open, and then closes after a 10 second delay. What I really needed was a relay that is normally closed, and then opens after a 10 second delay. That way, when the key is turned on, the glow plugs are powered up for about 10 seconds and then shuts off. Since I'm a cheap guy, I just bought a standard 5-pin 30 amp relay from an auto store, and used it reverse the other relay for me. So now my furnace relay controls the second relay. The second relay is wired up to be normally closed. This is the relay that controls the main glow plug relay. This relay sends power to the glow plug relay until the furnace relay clicks and closes the circuit thereby opening the normally closed second relay, shutting the glow plugs off.

I know this sounds confusing, but I have a total of like 3 bucks invested in my glow plug system, and it works great. Instead of messing with a relay like I used, I would suggest you search for a time delay relay from Radio Shack or someplace, and get one that is normally closed, then opens after 10 seconds. I went the route I did simply because I had the parts laying around.

I also installed a main cut-off switch to shut the glow plugs off completely. In summertime, I only need glow plugs during the initial startup in the morning. So after it's started and warmed up, I shut the system off so that they don't cycle at all the rest of the day. Saves wear and tear on the GP's. I also have a manual switch installed, for those really, really cold mornings when I need more than one glow cycle.

All in all, my home made system has worked well for about two years with no problems.

Peninsular diesel has also begun selling an adjustable glow controller. Haven't had any experience with it, but looks really simple.

Casey