Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Conversion of Fulltime to Parttime

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lee, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Lee

Lee Registered Member

We removed the front driveshaft from my k5 due to vibration problems and the vibration went away..

I have been informed by my shop that the only way to get rid of the vibration is to go to a partime kit for the transfer case... We can't get rid of the vibration by lowering the tcase anymore because the lower we go the more of an angle we put on the front shaft and the worse the vibration gets. The front shaft already has a newly rebuit cv joint and all new ujoints.

Does anyone know of an alternative way to go or must I convert to parttime.

Thanks

Lee

2. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Tell us a little more - lift, tire size, suspension mods, suspension condition, steering set up, favorite beer. All that will play a part regarding suspension bugs ... well, almost all.

Eric M.

Blown K3500 [​IMG]

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I'd personally just convert it over to part time (Milemarker makes a kit) then buy some manual hubs....

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I'm in shape.... round is a shape......

4. Lee

Lee Registered Member

Eric

Lift is 6 inch procomp setup with new springs in fron with 4 inch blocks in back and 2 inch helper spring added...tires are 35 inch mudders by procomp, new shocks all around...sway bar lowered 2 inches...steering box reinforced to the frame...can't think of anything elso to tell you....

Lee

5. Lee

Lee Registered Member

Steph:

Looks like I might have to ... nice blazer you got out there on the left coast...

L

6. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

By converting the 203(?) case to part-time your only splitting the case open and replacing and removing a couple of gears. It's not exspensive either, the conversion kit is $30-40.00. you wont miss the front drive-shaft spinning. If you want to keep some traction in the rear, you install a lock-rite so you will at least have something of a 2 wheel drive when not in 4x4.

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the compliment. The Milemarker kits are about $110 bucks, but include the hubs. The instructions say you don't even have to remove the t-case to do it.... I've heard it helps to improve you mpg some. Dunno how true that is since I don't have a 203, but maybe someone whose done this can say for sure.....

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I'm in shape.... round is a shape......

8. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Lee,

You mentioned you have already lowered the transfer case and don't want to lower it anymore. When you lower the t-case you throw off the pinion angles. The rear shaft is longer so it will take more (drop) to produce vibration, but front shaft vibration is common. I always thought that CV joints relieved this sort of vibration (could someone post if I'm right about this). If not you could play with your front pinion angle. If you've dropped the t-case, you kick up the front output shaft which means you'd have to point the front axle pinion down. 2 problems with this,1, it throws off your castor (or is it camber?), anyways, the steering wheel won't pop back to center after you take a turn and 2, you create a sharper angle for your front drive shaft, a bad thing especially if you're full time w/ a 6" lift.

I'd have to agree with the above posts. Forget about your problem and convert to part time. I'd do it even if there wasn't a vibration. Better gas milage, no wear on the front end (and that front CV and U-joint will wear with a 6" lift) and no more vibration.

Let us know what you end up doing ... or if any of what I said turns out to work!!

Eric M.

Blown K3500 [​IMG]

9. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Is the driveshaft out of balance? You might have lost a weight on it.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/70gmc>My 70 GMC</a>

10. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Lee, you will probably gain 1 to 2 mpg (I did, when I did the conversion to my '76 Jimmy I had.) Some will tell you the conversion will shorten the life of the transfer case, well when I put the conversion in (Mile Maker) I put Mobil 1 synthetic in it, and ran it for 75,000 miles with no problems. Good luck!

1 ton '87 Chevy SWB in the making!

11. Lee

Lee Registered Member

Eric:

Sure would like to know of anyone who has lifted an old fulltime 4x4 blazer and did not have a problem with vibration. I

Once I convert it...it will only have vibration in 4x4 and if I am really using it I won't even notice it...

Does anyone know how many years it took GM to discontinue this crappy method (fulltime) of moving forward??

Lee

12. Lee

Lee Registered Member

Jim

No we just had it entirely rebuilt and balanced...

L

13. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Here is a word of advice for you BEFORE you do the conversion: wash the t-case THOROUGHLY with a pressure washer before doing this job.
    This will make everything CLEAN and you won't have to worry about dirt and grease falling into the t-case halves when you separate them.
    Remember, cleanliness is next to Godliness! [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

14. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

listen to thatK30guy, I just got done (just acouple hours ago)
    Rebuilding mine and It was really nice to not get dirt everywhere, also if cash permits get the Mile marker shaft kit
    just make sure they did not leave and burrs on it. putting it in is simple just my .02

oops, wrong guy sorry K30 [​IMG]

*wink*

my 79 rust bucket will run over your 2001 chevy 4X4 tahoe plastic wagon<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Redfrog on 01/14/02 12:37 AM.</FONT></P>

15. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

a local shop told me that i needed ladder bars to lessen the vibration in my front driveshaft. didn't understand why this would help front driveshaft vibration, since they go in the back. just a little more fuel for the fire.

If it can't be broken then I haven't had it.
    '74K5 NP203/sm465 4"Lift 35"BFGs 350ci