Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

conversion problem with ujoint

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by J.R., May 19, 2001.

1. J.R.

J.R. Guest

okay, i have a 85 k5, just put a 14 FF rear in, im looking for a ujoint that will fit my factory drive shaft to the 14 bolt rear. the part numbers i got before, thanks for the help, wont work. i need a ujoint that dosent have the retaining clips on the ends, but on the ujoint itself. do they make such a part or do i have to change drive shaft end to fit older style ujoint. thanks

BIGBLOCK MAN

2. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Your local Spicer dealer should have what you need. They should be able to identify what type of u-joint you have and then find a crossover joint that has a 1350 u-joint on the end. Some GM's have a 3R size yoke on the driveshaft end. They changed from the 1310 size to 3R in the early 80's. This is what my local spicer guy told me. Back when I did a ring gear change on my 12 bolt, I had to get a 3R/1310 u-joint to make it fit the 12 bolt yoke. You probably need a 3R/1350 combo u-joint. That could explain why you couldn't find one with the clips on the u-joint. The 1310's and 1350's have retaining clips on the ends. Having a new yoke put on the end of the driveshaft may not be very cheap but it would be the best way to go in the long run and you won't have to mess with this crossover stuff. Or, if your driveshaft is in bad shape, you could just get a whole new driveshaft from Denny's or Tom Woods for around $200 or so. Good luck.

BIGJ

3. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I was at NAPA for about an hour trying to find this same part. My setup is an 86 K5 with the stock driveshaft and the 14ff. The u-joint I needed has the c-clip style retainer on the actual u-joint. Both the drivehaft shaft side and axle side. So the magic part number that you need is 447. I still had the box out in the trash can in my garage. My wife thought I was crazy for digging around for it.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

4. J.R.

J.R. Guest

thanks for finding that for me! i was going crazy at the part stores trying to explain to them what i needed!

BIGBLOCK MAN

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Dude,
    I just went through the same trouble as you. (trying to eplain to the parts store people what a Conversion Ujoint is.)
    Anyhow, BigJ is right, GM changed from 1310 size joints sometime in the 80s. I had an 1310/1350 Ujoint that I thought was going to work, but when I tried putting it into my 89', no luck...too small on the stock driveshaft side. Then I figured, out that the mid to later 80's model K5 must be using the 1330 size ujoint. So, that is what the Napa 447 is. It comes with the "C-Clips" that you're looking for, not the outer retaining clip. That part # worked for me.
    Boss

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boss.coloradok5.com>http://www.boss.coloradok5.com</A>