Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Conversion question

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by jeffro, Sep 5, 2002.

1. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

I want to stick a 6.2 in my 72. Will the poli tank I bought from Chevy Duty work or will the fuel eat the plastic. Will 3/8 gas line work or will the diesel cause it to deteriorate?
    Thanks in advance.
    Jeffro

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The fuel tanks and fuel lines should work just fine. Completely remove the tank and clean it out really well. That's what I have done. I removed the tank, dumped out all the gasoline, poured in some diesel fuel, sloshed it around, and repeated that process a couple of times.

Do you have a donor truck to get all the accessories from, such as radiator, alternator, ps pump, etc? Also, do you have power brakes on the 72? If so, you may want to try and convert to hydroboost. I've still got a vacuum booster on my '81, but the vacuum pump on the 6.2L barely keeps up with it. You've got to wait for the system to build vacuum after starting the engine.

Casey

3. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

I have a complete 82 3/4 ton truck. I plan to use as much as I need. What about glow plugs. Are there better controllers to use besides the 82 model? I need to repair the glow plug system.

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The 85 and up glow controller is better and cheaper than the old style. Or, just use a momentary push button to activate them.

Casey