Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Conversion to intermittant wipers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, Jan 16, 2005.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

My '87 K5 does not have intermittant wipers. I'd like to convert over. What do I need to replace?

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

You will need the stick and the wiper control module. Look in a junk yard. Pretty easy to find.

3. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I hate to resurrect a year-old thread but I'm working on this, myself.

The P.O. of my truck has bastardized just about everything in it. I don't know if he changed the column or not but here's what I have:
    '89 Blazer
    Tilt column
    Combo Stick with pulse and cruise
    engine converted to carb: no cruise
    Wipers do not pulse
    Small wiring harness coming from back of combo stick has been cut (for cruise?)

I know this:
    All the wiper motors for this year are the same (with/without pulse)
    The only components in the system are the stick, the switch, motor, pulse module and wiring in between.

My question is this:
    If you have a pulse switch, pulse stick and a pulse module, can these parts be installed on any column?

Thanks.

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Sweet. Thanks.

Next dumb question that I forgot to ask before: do the 88-98 CK trucks use the same parts?

Edit: According to Autozone, 88-91 Blazers and Subs are different switch numbers than 88-up pickups which are different than 87-down everythings. Just my luck to get a 4-year bastard of a switch. Now to try and find out what year the column is.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2006
  6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Yes. You need the switch (in the column, has multi pin flat harness that runs down the column) and the module. Modules can be had at junkyard,or new from GM for like $30-40 (I just bought one last month). Yes the motor is the same, and you need the proper stick to actuate the switch.
    The newer CK trucks you mention do not use the same parts. Totally different motor, switch and electrics.
    Watch out of 1984. In 1985 they seperated the motor and washer pump. In 1984 they used the same motor from '78-84, but in '84 they moved the switch to the column, and this takes a special 1984 only module (also still available from GM for $70). I know, I just did this,I have both modules, the '85-91 module does not work with the 1984 motor. I wanted the '84 motor because I wanted the integrated washer pump. I know, the pump is just 2 pins and it should hook up the same right, that's what I thought and it's wrong. Doesn't work. The wiring within the '78-84 motor is different and only works with the 1984 module (or a '78-83 intermittent dash switch).
    Switch is same from '84-91, modules 85-91 or 1984 only, motor 1985-91. Just watch what years your gettin' parts from.

7. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Not that I'm doubting you or anything but why are the part numbers different, then? :thinking:

Is it just a case of having a different part number but it will still work?

I think the chances of me finding an 88-91 R/V truck in a junk yard is going to be pretty slim. Adding the 85-87 C/K definitely improves my chances.

Of course... I could just buy all new stuff. ;)

Thanks for the info!

8. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Opps. Sorry, your right '88-91 R'V trucks have a different number for the switch. Same module though from '85-91. Not sure what's different on the switch then. Possible nothing functionally, possibly a lot. Who knows.

9. rustyear

rustyear Registered Member

well, depending on what you are willing to do and if you care if your truck looks stock or not, you could do what i did..jc whitney has an intermittent, or adjustable 'delay' switch, which i bought for under $20 including shipping, and its a piece of cake to install and works great...goes under the dash, tho, so its sorta hanging out there...quick and ez and does the job...one could actually put it into the dash, if you wanted to and didnt mind making the hole

10. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

My dad used to put those in all of his vehicles. From the '65 Chebbie to the '75 Kuntry Skwire wagon to the '77 Malibu.

Yeah... they look like ass but they do function. :D

I would really like to stick to the factory system (seems silly to have it and not make it work right) but I can always use that as a last resort! I think I've even seen them in the local auto parts supermarkets. I know my dad bought them locally "back in the day".

Thanks for everybody's input! :bow: