Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

convert 89 4.3l v6 to syclone v6

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89blazerguy, Aug 27, 2006.

1. 89blazerguy

89blazerguy Newbie

i have an 89 blazer with the 4.3l v6 and i want to get alot of power w/o a v8,would it be even kinda practical to do the mods to this engine to match those from a 91 gmc syclone 4.3

2. richheezee

richheezee 1/2 ton status

i own a 92 gmc typhoon. the way i see it is that it will not be practical at all. syty parts are expensive. (unless you have the parts or motor waiting for you already.)

what i think is more practical is dropping a V8 into your s10. a syty motor is not a set it and forget it kind of deal. you got to be on top of tuning and more tuning after that. (which is a b!tch) i am not saying they are crappy motors but just syty motors are tempermental.

if your going to wheel your s10 you will have turbo lag where you want the low end grunt, but if your going to run your s10 for racing or a fun grocerey getter, then by all means build a clone. i just think you will be happier with a V8 if your going to wheel it.

checkout syty.net if you want more info about syty setups. they have some crazy buildups there from turbo V8 swaps to 4l80e swaps. i have been debating on a turbo or supercharged V8 swap for a year now.:o

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

A big part of the SyTy package is the AWD t-case (which oddly enough is the same stuff used in the AWD Astro/Safari vans). That's why they can put the power to the ground instead of peeling out.

The factory turbo bolt-ons would be hard to acquire - if they even work on a conventional block. IMO you'd do better with a supercharger. Maybe Wipple still makes their TBI kit.

GMPP also makes an aluminum V6 block that's good for 5.2L :D

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

It's nothing more than an abbreviated 350. So anything you could do to a 350 you can do to a 262/4.3. Here are some ideals.
    1) Vortech supercharger with or with out after cooler.
    2) Ported and polished heads, upgrade the induction and exhaust for more flow.
    3) Stroker kit. I believe Skat is pretty popular kit for this engine, and I believe that it can be bored and stroked safely to 320 ci.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

320ci uses a 4.125" (400SB) bore and 4" stroke. Good luck without a siamese-bore block with a raised cam. ;)

287ci with 0.030" overbore & 3.75" stroker crank... probably not worth it unless you were doing a complete rebuild anyhow. Going to an odd-fire style crank would be cool/different.

Stock 4.3s for marine applications get over 200hp with only a carb. Shouldn't be too hard to get more - especially with forced induction - stock TBI is only 160hp or so.

6. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Drop a 350 in and call it done. I had a 2wd blazer with a mild 355 in it, and tho it wasn't on the road, it was a blast to drive. Will be alot cheaper than the Cyclone....

7. 89blazerguy

89blazerguy Newbie

what kinda results could i get if i just hop up the stock 4.3 a lil,and put the AWD set up in it w/posi rear?also heard something about puting on a 5.7 port injection ontop of the 4.3. or even converting to vortec 4.3..........either way i like the idea of a v6 blazer with AWD.......sounds fun