Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

convert a old propane tank to a portable air tank?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bnc04, Sep 14, 2004.

1. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

Can this be done? Safely? if so, where do I get the parts etc?
    Thanks
    Brett

2. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

TTT.. anybody?

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

They sell kits at the bargain stores near me to convert old A/C freon bottles to an air tank--they will work on propane tanks too,but its kinda dangerous--its hard to get all the fumes out,and you dont want to fill tires with a mixture of propane and air,it could become explosive.I have a propane tank I converted,but I left it open to the air in my shed for several months to help dissapate the fumes--it still stinks like propane when I use it--I've been haunting my friend for a freon 30lb bottle,but he hasnt emptied one yet,its been a cool summer here,not many people had their A/C re-charged.If there were a better way to purge the fumes a propane tank would be ok,it will handle the 125 psi ok if its not rusty,but I dont know how to do it--I wouldnt want to be smoking a ciggarette while using the propane tank to air up tires! /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My buddy has done all sorts of propane tank conversions. A sand blaster is one of the more interesting ones, but he also has a tank modified for air. I think he used a brand new tank, it was $35. He bought and welded a few bungs to the thing for input and output fittings and the mounted it upside down so the valve could be used as a drain. I believe he got the bungs from ACE hardware and drilled and welded the tank himself. I would be scarred to drill or weld a used tank!

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I just picked up an air tank for $10 yesterday. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Walmart has 7 gallon tanks for 15$ alot safer.