Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

convert from th350 to 700r4

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bp71k5, Oct 11, 2006.

1. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Since my drive from Cali to BlazerBash, I realized driving faster than 55mph is tough with only a 3speed tranny. How easy would putting a 700R4 in there and keeping my NP205 x-case? I guess the steering column would need a new shifter too?

2. BIGEARL

BIGEARL Registered Member

Do a search and you'll find a couple hundred threads on this topic. My advice, read them all and get a COMPLETE understanding of the swap before buying anything. There are right and wrong ways to do this swap in terms of DS clearance, cost, parts availability etc. It's totally possible and actually pretty simple once you have done the research.

Nate

3. bp71k5

Thanks, good idea. I did some searching, but it looks like I need to do a lot more like you said. I'm wondering if a th400 would be good enough now.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Fellow 1st Genner "BobK" has done this swap in his truck. You might want to look specifically for his threads or send him a PM with questions.

He was some pretty detailed photo galleries as well, but I'm not sure if he has one for the tranny swap???

:usaflag:

5. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
  6. bp71k5

Cool, that's a good link to have. I spent a load of $$ on a new CV driveshaft for the rear so I was really not looking forward to moving everything back (since the tranny is longer). Moving forward might work ok. Is your x-case in the stock location? I don't have a tilt column, but might like to go that way. By the way, your disc brake pics really helped when doing mine. Thanks!

7. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    T/C is in the stock postion.
    I moved the Eng. forward.Just redrilled the holes for the eng. crossmember.
    Actually I think a few of the existingg I-6 mount holes lined up.I remember only drilling 2 or 3 new holes.

One thing to consider when moving the eng forward is the fan.

If you run the orig. mechanical fan the move forward will place the fan "deeper" into the shroud and may effect your cooling capability.

Before I swapped in my electric fans I found a 2 piece fan shroud from a 70's-80's Chevy truck.It was a bit thinner than the orig. Blazer shroud.

The new shroud allowed the fan blades to be approx. 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the shroud...which it what it should be.

In this pic you can see the shroud I used.
    [​IMG]

8. bp71k5

Good tip. My radiator is already very small so a bigger one with electric fans would be nice. It's always hot here.