Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

convert to intermittent wipers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mdm365, Feb 24, 2004.

1. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

We had rain here in vegas the last few days and I am tired of switching them off and on.(not enough rain comming down to keep them on)My question is can I switch them over to the intermittent style by using a switch for intermittent system?They do make a switch for 78-83 with intermittent wipers mine is a 77. thanks mike /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The '81-up style (or it could be a different year break, not sure) won't fit in the older gauge "bezel". You've got to hack it up to make it fit, and it looks bad.

I think there were delay wiper systems for your vintage, but if there are, I've never personally seen one.

3. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

Check out Chevyduty, Brothers, LMC, or JC Whitney. I know that they have some.

4. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I don't care what it looks like, my dash is so cut up now anyways. Is it just the switch? Do you have to hack the wireing also? And how many speeds does it have?

5. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I put a set of intermittents into my '77. It was not too difficult. The new switch will fit if you carefully grind/file the metal behind the bezel. The knob sits out far enough that the bezel works just fine. The most difficult part is the wiring. The newer style runs the pink wire through the washer motor that is used in the newer water bottles. If you grab the schematics from the '77 and from an '83 you will see what needs to change. I did mine a while back but still may have my notes on the color codes if you need them.
    Mike

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

On the later ('81+ at least) setups you simply pull the gauge bezel off, disconnect the controls, hook up the "delay" module to the now empty connector, then hook up the new delay control piece to the other end of the module. That's it.

"infinitely adjustable" is how I would describe the delay wipers. Just like most other vehicles with delay, you turn the knob one way to make them swipe more often, the other way to slow down the operation.

7. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I was able to do the same with my '79. Plug 'n Play /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

James

8. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifThanks for the info now all I have to do is find the parts. Thanks mike

9. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I put a set of intermittents into my '77. It was not too difficult. The new switch will fit if you carefully grind/file the metal behind the bezel. The knob sits out far enough that the bezel works just fine. The most difficult part is the wiring. The newer style runs the pink wire through the washer motor that is used in the newer water bottles. If you grab the schematics from the '77 and from an '83 you will see what needs to change. I did mine a while back but still may have my notes on the color codes if you need them.
    Mike

[/ QUOTE ] prjt-blazer. If you can find the color codes that will be a great help thanks mike /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif mdm365@cox.net

10. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

It may take me a day or two to find it in my paper work. I used the newer style motor and washer bottle on this as the newer bottle is a lot more useful and I did not like the washers hooked to the wiper motor.

FWIIW, I have seen factory intermittent trucks in JYs once in a while. No idea if they work though and replacement parts could be a problem if you are thinking about that route.

Mike