Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Convertable Top

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Guiness5150, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Guiness5150

Guiness5150 Newbie

Hey guys, I'm sure this has been discussed but I am pretty new to the forum. I have an '89 Blazer and am looking to get a convertable top once we get some nice weather (Central MI). Loking for ANY thoughts on which is the best to buy...quality, price, features, ease of use. Also looking for any wisdom on how they are to install and if there are any downsides, as far as putting the shell back on after taking the soft top off...thanks in advance

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

STC tops

I would highly recomend STC (Speciality Top Company) out of Colorado. Great top at a good price. I have one on a '73 and another on a '75.

http://www.specialtytopco.com/

3. Guiness5150

Guiness5150 Newbie

dontoe, does the soft top affect putting the shell back on? How much drilling is required?

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sorry, didn't see yer post any sooner dude!

About eight sheet metal screws and the same hold down bolts your hard top uses to hold it down is all. Here is GrimReaper's excellent article I used to help me install mine. Oh maybe ten minutes to remove the dsofttop and replace the hard top?
    Not very much drilling, easy job.

http://coloradok5.com/stcreview.shtml

Hope that helps ya.

5. ss396

ss396 Registered Member

I have a STC also, love it.

You install the the aluminum mounting pieces where the hardtop seals by the cap and the bed rails, so unless you remove those pieces, the hardtop won't fit.

I see no reason to put the hardtop back on, the STC top seals well, minimal wind noise. Just crank up the heat in the winter. Looks cool too!