Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

converted diesel to gas, tranny questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scrapper69, Apr 18, 2005.

1. scrapper69

scrapper69 Newbie

I took a 6.2 out of an '87 Blazer, and dumped in a 350 crate motor. I have done this before, but never retained the original tranny. I have the original tranny (700r4). I have read elsewhere and have heard that when doing this the valvebody, and the torque converter need to be changed back to a gas style. I was told because the diesel has a different stall to the converter and the valve body doesnt run as much pressure as the gas valve body. It runs fine, but it doesn't hook and haul ass like my other with a TH-350. It seems to be hesitant upon initial stomping of the gas. It will not spin the tires in dirt, yet my other with 33's and the TH-350 will spin all day. I have put the gas TV cable in, and its adjusted right, I'm left with the tranny guts itself. Also did this come with a lockup converter, or was that just the gas ones. I'm a SM-465 stud, and I know nothing to little about auto's. Like I said its in an "87 and its all original equipment. For those that might reply, the tranny is new. Not rebuilt, but new from Goodwrench. Any thoughts,,,???????????

2. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Yup, you got it. Swap out the torque convertor and valve body.

3. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

btw, a goodwrench tranny is rebuilt, not new. Even the sticker on the bell housing says, remanufactured by goodwrench, although does have alot of new parts inside.

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

the valve body should not need to be changed but the govenor should be changed

5. scrapper69

scrapper69 Newbie

Thats what I figured, just wanted to get a few different opinions,,thanx