Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converter Bolts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUPER'BURB, Nov 21, 2005.

1. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

Do you guys run Lock Tight on your torque converter bolts? And if so what color and what torque do you put them at?

2. keifer

keifer Registered Member

yes I run red loc-tite, cant remember the torque, have it written at home

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I use blue and torque them to "freakin tight". Red may require heat to remove, and I've never had a problem with blue.

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

On bolts of any size (i.e. not a 10-32) I've never had trouble removing one with Red Lock-tite in the threads. I'd rather heat the bolt to remove them & risk destroying them than have those particular bolts come loose.

5. 89GMCSuburban

I'll bet you that's because the person before did not clean the threads before applying the stuff. I cleaned the threads on my flexplate bolts and put the stuff on....my impact wouldn't remove them without heat. Try removing a DaimlerChrysler diff from a semi when each bolt has green on it.

6. keifer

keifer Registered Member

I use new arp convertor bolts with red and can remove them with a 1/2 breaker bar

7. 89GMCSuburban

Alright....clean the threads, put so much red on there you can't see the threads and put 'em in... :rolleyes:

8. keifer

keifer Registered Member

lmao,,,, how about myself and everyone else that uses red, put your next convertor in for ya?

9. 89GMCSuburban

Yeah...I'd trust you with that. :rolleyes: You'd probably put red loc-tite on the inspection cover bolts, too.

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

That would be me, and I do use something like brake cleaner on both threads. FWIW, no matter how strong the impact I've seen cases where you need to use a breaker bar first. Lock-tite or no Lock-tite. Must be something to do with constant torque vs. impact, I don't know why.

Which Green? There are at least two. One is pretty weak and is or can be used in already assembled fasteners to wick into the assembly.
    The other is stronger than Red. One use I know of for this stronger Green is to hold valve guide liners in iron cylinder heads. If it was that Green I'm surprised you got it apart w/o breaking things.

11. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the answers guys, I will let you all fight about the color but I'm gonna go with tighter is better :D (and if you like blue don't take that personaly ;) ).