Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converter Issues/Comcerns

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by BurbLover, Sep 23, 2003.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Okay, so for starters, I know zilch about tranny's & converters. Now that that is out of the way, here goes it.

I have a 83 K-5 with a blown 700R4. I have a rebuilt TH350 to replace it as the price was right and the adpater plate is the same. Here are my concerns:

1 - The TC has three pads to bolt the flex plate to. It is my understanding that the only difference between a diesel & gas TC is the 6 vs 3 pads thing. Is this a big deal? Will the three pads be enough?

2 - I can also go with a TH400 TC, but I'll need to buy another flexplate & TC. This will cost $$, which I have none of. The advantage by doing this (according to TC shop) is the 400 has a 1350 stall & the 350 has a 1400 stall. Is this upgrade worth it?

Thanks for your quidance. It is truly appreciated!!

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Can't answer your ?, but the t400 will last long behind the diesel.

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Not going with a TH400 tranny, just debating between the TC of a 350 & 400 on the TH350 tranny.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I can only say that it could work because I have seen people do it, but would I do it?
    No, I would go with the right converter, and I would get a new or rebuilt one anytime I am swaping trannies, it's cheap insurance.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif