Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Convertible burb I spotted in town

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Mar 4, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've spotted this burb around town a couple times, I always wanted to get a close look cause he has the back chopped off like I want to do. So I am zipping through town on my way to the tattoo shop and bam I spot it. Swung around and take a look and grab some pics. Noticed an interesting thing when I got close.
    [​IMG]
    Guessing his tailpan was rotted out.
    [​IMG]
    He cut the whole roof out and put on a soft roof so he can go convertible in the summer. I found it interesting. Only thing is I bet he didn't reinforce the body like I am sure is neccessary. I'm thinking maybe doing that. Integrate a cage to the body that would support the top and give the body rigidity back.
    [​IMG]

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wow, what a hack job.

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

That could be a fun rig. I have to agree, it doesn't look like there is any support there were the center roof has been removed. That is a really clean job on the full soft top. I wonder why he didn't just bob the back off when it was removed for rust?! Could have been easily made to look clean. Interesting truck though.

Kris

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

this thing is a hack job and a half. Don't let the pictures fool you, its a hack just like tim said. I'm considering doing it but I will actually make it look good. Have a pro shop make the softtop and all. I don't know what was going through this rednecks mind. He had an interesting idea he just couldn't put it to the real world like its meant to be.

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im diggin the peice of wood with the emblem nailed to it! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    im diggin the peice of wood with the emblem nailed to it!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was thinking. Real wood grain tailgate with the CHEVROLET emblem, not a crappy applique like the 71-72 Silverado. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

See that's what I want to do but not cut out the roof. I want to make a bed and weld in the back of a truck cab and try to make it look close to factory. Guy in the club I run with did something like that to a Trooper.Looked cool but cross over box was all that would fit. With a burb you would end up to close to a 6ft bed. for 99% or my needs of a pick up truck that's perfect.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah my problem is, when I need a pickup bed, I need it in a big way. When I had my 95 single cab 8ft bed, my dad used it as a company tool, transporting plywood and other things that he couldn't do with his truck cause he has the utility cap on it. Though he can no longer drive my vehicles(insurance) I would like to have an 8 foot bed to help him out whenever I can again.

9. Grim-Reaper

That's why I got a cheap cargo trailer.

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

silverado did not exist before 73, back then there were cheyennes and cheyenne supers and CST's and custom deluxes

that burb is a horrible sawzall hack job, it doesnt look right and if it were in IL it would be very illegal to drive on the road it would be pulled over instantly for several violations including missing factory welded body panels in which is part of safety structure design of the truck, and also obstructed inside rear view, we do that kind of hack job to vehicles we drag up here that we are preparing for scrap, so can load them full of scrap easier

although around here there are a few full size vans locally that are hacked into pickup trucks but they simply removed the roof and walls over the rear cargo area where ppl would not ever be sitting, and also a rear wall is made with glass to be able to see out the back to keep the vehicle lawful for on-road use

11. Grim-Reaper

Since when is a rear window a legal thing?

My understanding is there is no mention of rear window only rear veiw mirror's. There must be two and one must be drivers left then option of passengerside OR center. I have driven trucks or large vehciles most of my driving life. No rear window bothers me less then no passengerside mirror.

12. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

a guy arroud where i live cut the back of his burb and made avalanche like side things. they look almost exactly the same but he did this about a year before the avalanche came out.

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm not quite getting you, for all we know there is some factory metal under that top for support. the portion of the removed roof isn't welded. The welds are at the edges right above the doors, which you can see is still present.

15. bshewmaker

bshewmaker Registered Member

what about a dump truck, they have a back glass but it is obstructe by the dump bed,

16. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I'd like to have a 'burb and splice in an Blazer rear tub and use a canvas soft top in place of the hard top...
    Stuff in a couple rockwells w/ rear steer, 49x19.5x20" IROKs, and radical 454... then you got one hell of a rig!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

17. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

I agree with the above.... hack job /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Mine isnt too much better up close but i really didnt care much seeing as all i do is beat the piss out of it in the woods. It could be done really nice if someone took the time. Hell even though im not a body man I got a truck box and blazer top to work on a burb....and they havent fallen apart yet either /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    that burb is a horrible sawzall hack job, it doesnt look right and if it were in IL it would be very illegal to drive on the road it would be pulled over instantly for several violations including missing factory welded body panels in which is part of safety structure design of the truck, and also obstructed inside rear view, we do that kind of hack job to vehicles we drag up here that we are preparing for scrap, so can load them full of scrap easier

[/ QUOTE ]

1. The cops don't seem to care what anybody drives here. I've seen blocks in the front, cut and welded pitman arms.....nobody cares here, those rigs go down the road all the time around here.

2. It is not illegal to obstruct the rear view in Illinois. Every window behind the two side ones and the windshield can be legally painted if you so desire and nobody can do anything. Some vehicles don't even have windows behind the driver, this is legal also.

I suggest that you read the Illinois Vehicle Code, which is available online at the state's website under Illinois Compiled Statutes, before you spread information on what is legal and not legal to drive.