Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Convertible Pick-up?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FOR MUD, Jun 21, 2006.

1. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm thinking about cutting the top off my 81 pick-up . I've got the windshield frame cutting and grafting part down and the doors are no big thing . But the back of the cab I'm not to sure about . I'm going to cut it flush with the bed and theres going to be a gap in the cab , should I weld in sheet metal or use fiberglass? When I did a search on this I saw alot of problems with flex on C-5s , is this going to be a problem on a pick-up? Do you know anyone who has done this kind of mod? I 'm planning on running a 10 point cage , should I tie it to frame with no roof?At least the welding should be alot easier with on roof!!!

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you need to leave the gap, the bed and the cab move seperately. ive seen my bed stick out 2" past the cab before.

3. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

I dont know much, but i agree with above, iv seen some body flex on the pickups as well, leave the gap.. what about some loose carpet to cover the gap? done up so it has a bubble in it so it will allow flex?

4. K5-newf

K5-newf 1/2 ton status

moutn some dimond plat toe the cab and let stick out so u dont see the gap but dont attach it to the bed

5. FOR MUD

I'm talking about the gap thats going to be in the back wall of the cab , not the gap between the cab and bed . It looks like 1"-1 1/2" . I was wondering if I should weld it up or use fiberglass , just I don't know how much if any the cab is going to flex with no roof, and how much this would help.

6. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester 1/2 ton status

Weld It !

I would recomend welding it...I'm not possitive, but that area could be designed in at the factory to help eliminate flex in the back wall of the cab, so if you just 'glass it, it may still flex and then crack your fiberglass work...don't take a chance, weld it up and be sure it won't crack later on. Just my opinion. Good luck and post up some pics!:bow::bow::bow:

7. FOR MUD

Thinking the samething. I might try it this summer , got to get cage first and yes I will get lots of picts.