Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting 10 bolt front axel to 8 lug?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grtwhite, Nov 10, 2000.

1. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Consisdering upgrading to a 14blt ff rear axel and need info on changing the bolt pattern up front. The front axel is a stock 10 bolt. Roughly how hard is this and any idea how much it may cost? Also 15 inch rims will fit right? I think I've read that on this site, if in the future I'd upgrade to a dana 60 front axel, 15 inch rims should fit with a little grinding? Want to plan ahead and do things the right the first time. Thanks for the help! - Jay

2. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Someone out there I know has some answers. How about a little help?

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm pretty sure the only difference is from the rotors out. Everything else is the same. Try the wreckers and look for 3/4 ton chevy's.

Rene

[​IMG]

4. Casey 86K5

Casey 86K5 1/2 ton status

To convert a 6-lug 10-bolt to 8 lug is easy. All you need to change is hubs, rotors, calipers and backing plates. When I did my conversion I bought new hubs & rotors, calipers and pads from auto zone, I found the backing plates at a local junk yard. All of the brake components are for an '86 3/4 ton 4x4 and the backing plates were off of an '85 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban. I have more info about this on my web page.

Casey 86K5

http://86blazer.coloradok5.com

5. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Yep, tRusty is right, you need the hubs, backing plates and rotors from a 3/4ton GM 4x4 with a ten bolt front. The front spindles are the same size too. It might be a good idea to grab those too, just for extras. I did this swap a while back and my parts came off of a 79 3/4 ton longbed 4x4. The hard part to find is the backing plates, everything else can be bought new (rotors, hubs, bearings, seals). Drop me a line if you have any more questions.

15 inch wheels will fit a 3/4 ton with quite a bit of grinding. 15 inch wheels will only fit a 60 if you use a crazy offset. I tried it with my 15x10 eight lugs (4 inch backspacing) and there was no way it would work on a 60 without being offset alot more than they were. If you plan on swapping in a dana 60 in the front, I would recommend 16's or 16.5's.

BIGJ

6. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input guys! - Jay