Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Converting 14BFF dually to single wheel?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Dec 12, 2001.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

How difficult is it to convert a 14BFF from a dually to a single wheel application? Also, what gears should I look for if I plan on running tires no larger than say 36" or so?

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If I remember right dually rears are wider then normal rears. With the $ you spend converting the dually rear to single it will cost you more then a single rear wheel 14bolt. Its alot less hassle to just get a single rear wheel. Also as for gears for 36's, 4.56.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I would measure the width of the axle (from wheel mating surface to wms) and compare this to a single rear wheel axle. If anything, I think that some dual rear wheel axles are actually narrower. They only look wider because of the backspacing of the dually rims that cause the the tires to stick way out from the end of the axle.

I also believe that dually axles came with a different style brake drum that is tapered to allow clearance of the inside dually (again because of the backspacing of the rims). While there is no problem mounting a regular single wheel on a dually axle, there might be clearance problems when trying to mount duals on an axle with the single rear wheel hubs.

Again, I'm not 100% positive on the above.

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

The housing is different from a Dual wheel to a single wheel. The cab and chassie dual wheel 14ff uses the same axles as a single wheel but the housing is narrower. The dual wheel pick up most likely you will find a Dana 70 and they are wider then a 14ff single wheel. For 36's I would run at least 4:56's.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>